About Grand Canyon University’s Teaching College
For over 60 years, Grand Canyon University has maintained a strong reputation as a prestigious Teaching College. The primary goal of GCU's College of Education is to provide you with the confidence to achieve excellence in your career as a teacher or administrator.
At GCU, you will gain a real-world knowledge that can be directly applied to your classroom. Our intentionally-small class sizes allow our instructors to provide you with a comprehensive foundation to build your confidence in the classroom. Earning a degree from GCU's College of Education provides the essential knowledge and in-demand skills needed for today's demanding and diverse classrooms.
At GCU, you can choose from a large variety of teaching college programs, including TESOL, elementary, secondary, special education, and educational administration. Our programs reflect the standards of both national accrediting bodies and the Arizona Department of Education. These principles are embedded throughout the teaching college curriculum in order to produce confident and credible professionals in the field of education.
The College of Education curriculum is aligned to the standards for the:
- Various content-oriented specialized professional associations such as:
- National Association for the Education of Young Children
- Teachers of English to Speakers of Other Languages (TESOL)
- National Association for Sport and Physical Education
- Interstate New Teacher Assessment and Support Consortium
- Educational Leadership Constituents Council
- National Board for Professional Teaching Standards
- Arizona Professional Teacher Standards
Why Teachers Choose GCU's Teaching College
- Convenience. You have the option to complete teaching college courses online, on campus or a combination of both.
- Flexible scheduling. You can start classes every eight weeks throughout the year, enabling you to earn your bachelor's or master's degree sooner.
- Value. Our teaching college equips students to perform ethically within the context of their jobs and to create a framework of high standards within their organizations.
- Alignment to Standards. All programs at our teaching college are aligned with state and national standards using the Understanding by Design framework developed by Wiggins and McTighe to ensure more engaging and effective learning.
- Academic excellence. Our quality academic programs provide the essential knowledge and skills needed to be an effective educator.
- Small class sizes. You will learn in small classes from professors who know you by name.
- Field experience. Our courses provide opportunities to engage in real-world experiences, applying learning concepts throughout the program.
- Earlier graduation. Our 4-credit courses allow you to complete your degree program in less time.