Certification & Exam Resources
College of Education learners enrolled in Teacher Education Programs (with institutional recommendation [IR]) beginning with the 2009-2010 Academic Catalog must pass their state-specified basic skills and content area exams prior to student teaching.
Basic Skills Test is a three (3) part exam: Reading, Writing, and Math. Other state-mandated basic skills test examples follow:
- California Basic Educational Skills Test (CBEST)
- Washington Educator Skills Test - Basic (WEST-B)
- Georgia Assessments for the Certification of Educators - (GACE) Basic Skills
Most states, including Arizona, also require learners to take a Professional Knowledge exam for certification. Learners may take their Professional Knowledge exam at any time, up to and including, during student teaching, but must have it completed prior to issuance of Institutional Recommendation.
For additional information related to state testing and certification please contact your Teacher Education Specialist.
GCU Basic Skills Resources
- Webinar: Test Taking Strategies
- Strategic Learning Video Tutorial
- Study Guides and Strategies: Memorizing/Testing
- Stress Management Learning Strategy
Reading (Language Arts)
- Webinar: Reading Strategies For Success
- Reading Strategies Video Tutorial
- Study Guides and Strategies: Reading
Writing (Language Arts)