Are you a recent high school graduate or community college student wanting to major in dance? Have you ever considered teaching? At Grand Canyon University, our degree in dance education is about more than just refining and expanding dance technique; it is a program that prepares you to become a certified dance teacher.
In recent years, the art of dance has seen a tremendous expansion in popular culture and our graduates are in demand. Did you know that dance programs in Arizona high schools have higher enrollment than both band and orchestra programs combined (2010 Arizona Arts Education Census)? Schools are in need of highly-qualified, certified dance educators. This creates an opportunity for those interested in this growing and exciting fine arts field.
Grand Canyon University's Bachelor of Arts in Dance Education is designed to train dancers, teachers and choreographers by blending both the theory and practice of dance performance and its related fields. In addition to classroom studies, students will take part in the University Dance Series, exploring the creative process from rehearsal to live performance. Dance Education students will graduate with all the required credentials for a K-12 teaching certification in dance in the state of Arizona, which is accepted in both public and private school settings.
Students entering this program should have previous dance training. Auditions are required for acceptance into the program and consideration for a performance scholarship. Find more information about auditions.
Degree in Dance Education Program Key Advantages:
- The Bachelor of Arts in Dance Education is a four year program whereas other colleges and universities require five years for completion.
- GCU's Dance Program has a triple-track design; offering jazz, ballet and modern/contemporary dance technique.
- Extensive opportunities are available for students to perform and choreograph including Ethington Dance Ensemble, Elementary Dance Tour, Student Spotlight Concerts, GCU Chapel Services and more.
- GCU is located in the heart of Phoenix, a city with an array of highly-regarded dance companies, schools and organizations.
- New, modern dance studios in Saguaro Residence Hall.
AZDEO Dance Resource Library
The Dance Resource Library is now open for use at Grand Canyon University.
1. Visit our Library page
2. Click on "Find Books & More"
3. Click on the "Arizona Dance Education Organization (AZDEO)" link on the left hand side under "Print Collections" heading.
Student Matinee Series
In an effort to make the arts and arts education accessible to students, Grand Canyon University's Ethington Theatre would like to invite high school students to enjoy the 2015-16 Student Matinee Series! The cost is FREE, RSVP now!