GCU Honors Mission Statement
The honors program at Grand Canyon University is designed to produce exemplary graduates who are uniquely equipped to lead and serve in both the workplace and local and global communities. Academically advanced students participate in curricular and co-curricular experiences which are rigorous, meaningful, interdisciplinary and unique to the Honors community. The focus is on developing a depth and breadth of understanding of content within a challenging curriculum that holistically integrates faith, theory, practice and research. Our goal is to develop servant leaders and change agents who are primed to enter the world with a competitive advantage over their contemporaries in the fields of problem solving, communication, critical thinking, evidence-based decision making and cultural awareness.
Honors Program and Academic Excellence
GCU challenges students on an individual basis through extra-curricular activities or one-to-one mentoring opportunities with a faculty member. This approach works well and the population of students seeking this kind of personalized and challenging academic experience has increased. The result is that a number of our students graduate and move on to their next academic chapter at top medical schools or participate in the esteemed Rodel scholars program in teacher education. Take a moment to hear from some outstanding students and faculty who exemplify the high standards of academics at Grand Canyon University.
Why Should I be Interested in the Honors Program?
By being in the Honors Program, a student will belong to a special group of peers who have similar aspirations, aptitude and interests. Although we are one close-knit community at GCU, honors students will be able to enjoy certain experiences that are unique to them. In addition to experiencing an enhanced curriculum, which is both enriching and challenging, the GCU honors student will benefit from additional privileges and benefits as listed below.
- A curriculum founded in servant leadership and application of learning
- Faculty mentors dedicated to specific sections of honors courses
- Priority tickets to exclusive speaker events on campus
- Free copies of the Canyon Journal of Interdisciplinary Studies (CJIS), a student/faculty research journal
- Interdisciplinary symposia seminars
- Honors mission trip opportunities
- Honors diploma and designation on transcripts
- Priority consideration for select student worker campus positions
- Coordinated internships opportunities and service learning in the community
- Honors student organization
Goals of Honors Program
While the total outcomes of the Honors Program cannot be confined to a list of specific tangible targets, servant leadership and scholarship are overarching goals of the program.
- We focus on transforming students academically through a broad exposure to many disciplines while being challenged to higher levels of thinking within those disciplines.
- We expect students to acquire Habits of Mind and novel ways of thinking that prepare them to analyze relevant issues and to become change agents that problem-solve solutions to real-world applications in innovative ways.
- We provide avenues for students to represent the university as an ambassador who displays servant leadership through experiential learning and service opportunities.
If you have any questions, please contact us at:
GCU Honors Program
Grand Canyon University
3300 W. Camelback Road
Williams Building, #35 - 105
Phoenix, Arizona, 85017