Why Should I be Interested in the Honors Program?
By being in the Honors Program, a student will belong to a special group of peers who have similar aspirations, aptitude and interests. Although we are one close-knit community at GCU, honors students will be able to enjoy certain experiences that are unique to them. In addition to experiencing an enhanced curriculum, which is both enriching and challenging, the GCU honors student will benefit from additional privileges and benefits as listed below.
- A curriculum founded in servant leadership and application of learning
- Faculty mentors dedicated to specific sections of honors courses
- Priority tickets to exclusive speaker events on campus
- Free copies of the Canyon Journal of Interdisciplinary Studies (CJIS), a student/faculty research journal
- Interdisciplinary symposia seminars
- Honors mission trip opportunities
- Honors diploma and designation on transcripts
- Priority consideration for select student worker campus positions
- Coordinated internships opportunities and service learning in the community
- Honors student organization
- Peer mentorship among honors members
- Honors housing available for freshmen
- Priority registration and housing for continuing honors students
- Lope first, honors second! Our students participate in a wide range of student and spiritual life events in addition to exclusive honors events and opportunities
- Honors specific social events and team building opportunities. Click here for our latest events.
Goals of Honors Program
While the total outcomes of the Honors Program cannot be confined to a list of specific tangible targets, servant leadership and scholarship are overarching goals of the program.
- We focus on transforming students academically through a broad exposure to many disciplines while being challenged to higher levels of thinking within those disciplines.
- We expect students to acquire Habits of Mind and novel ways of thinking that prepare them to analyze relevant issues and to become change agents that problem-solve solutions to real-world applications in innovative ways.
- We provide avenues for students to represent the university as an ambassador who displays servant leadership through experiential learning and service opportunities.