Frequently Asked Questions

Prospective Students

Housing FAQs

You likely have a number of questions regarding student residential living at Grand Canyon University. The following FAQs should answer many of your questions. Your Enrollment Counselor is here to help with any additional questions you may have. 

Q: Where do new students live?
A: Most new students live in one of the residence halls, however, individuals who are 21 years of age, have completed 60+ credit hours, are married, or have children living with them are eligible to live in the North Rim Apartments. 

Q: What are the dorm rooms like?
A: All three dormitories include suites where up to four students can reside. In Hegel and Canyon Halls, each suite consists of two bedrooms (with two students per bedroom), and a shared living room and bathroom.  In Prescott Hall, the suites consist of two bedrooms, each with private bathrooms and walk-in closets, and a shared living room.

Q: Do you have coed housing?
A: Cohabitation is not permitted on the campus of Grand Canyon University.  Each building has separated housing areas for each gender.  Daily "open hall hours" allow students of the opposite gender to visit within the living room of the suites.  Students of the opposite gender are never permitted within the bedrooms.  

Q: What are room and board costs?
A: Costs vary depending on the type of housing that you select. For more information regarding cost, please see the Financial Information page.

Q: How will I benefit from choosing to live on campus?
A:  Research indicates that students who reside on campus are more satisfied with their college experience, are stronger academically and are more likely to graduate within four years than their commuting classmates. In addition, they have a strong support system since they are living with peers who are going through similar experiences.

Q: What kind of Internet access is available on campus?

A: There is an Ethernet port located within every suite in the dormitories as well as the North Rim Apartment units.  There is also wireless Internet (Wi-Fi) available throughout all housing areas.  

Q:  Are land phone lines available?
A:  Only North Rim Apartment residents have access to phone land lines. Those who wish to connect a land line may do so through Cox Communications by contacting them at 602-694-1940. 

Q: When will I find out the name(s) of my roommate(s)?
A: Through the online application system, students either choose where they would like to live or who they would like to live with.  If someone requests to be your roommate, you will be notified through email.  This system will allow all students to know who they are living with as soon as you choose one another. 

Q: When can I move in?
A: Fall move-in is approximately one week before classes begin and Spring move-in is normally the Saturday before classes begin. The Office of Student Housing will notify you regarding specific move-in dates and times.

Q: What ways am I able to personalize my room?
A: You may decorate your room with fun bedding, photos of friends and family, throw pillows, rugs, etc. You may also hang posters using 3M hooks or staples.

Q: What do students on campus do for fun?
A: GCU students participate in a variety of activities including intramurals, events planned by the Office of Student Life, hall programs, area concerts, sporting events, outdoor activities and Bible studies. Plus, there are several shopping centers, restaurants and movie theaters near campus.

Q: What is an RA? 
A: Resident Assistants (RAs) are student leaders within each living area that serve as a resource and offer support for residents.  Resident Assistants apply for their position in January and are hired in March for the following academic year.

Q: What is an RD?
A: Resident Directors (RDs) provide leadership and supervision for the Resident Assistants and are responsible for encouraging a sense of community through the development of personal responsibility, spiritual growth, basic living skills, self-discipline, and a lifestyle of personal excellence.