State Authorizaton

State Authorizations

Grand Canyon University has been granted authorization by the State of Alabama under Ala. Code 16-5-10 (14) (1975) to offer the academic degree programs described herein. Since credentials earned through the College of Education do not automatically qualify for teacher certification, endorsement, and/or salary benefits within the State of Alabama, prospective students are advised to contact the Alabama State Superintendent of Education.

Arkansas Higher Education Coordinating Board certification does not constitute an endorsement of any institution or program. Such certification merely indicates that certain criteria have been met as required under the rules and regulations implementing institutional and program certification as defined in Arkansas Code §6-61-301.

This institution is regulated by The Indiana Commission on Proprietary Education, 302 West Washington Street, Room E 201, Indianapolis, IN 46204-2767. Toll Free Indiana Number: 1.800.227.5695 or 317.232.1320

Grand Canyon University is registered as a private institution with the Minnesota Office of Higher Education pursuant to sections 136A.61 to 136A.71. Registration is not an endorsement of the institution. Credits earned at the institution may not transfer to all other institutions.

Grand Canyon University is approved by the Ohio Board of Career Colleges and Schools and any Ohio residents who have a complaint can file a complaint with the Ohio Board of Career Colleges and Schools, 35 East Gay Street, Suite 403, Columbus, OH 43215, Phone 614.466.2752; Toll Free: 877.275.4219.

Teacher education programs have not been reviewed or approved by Pennsylvania. Candidates will have to apply for certification and meet requirements for certification as out-of-state candidates.

South Carolina
Licensed by the South Carolina Commission on Higher Education, 1333 Main Street, Suite 200, Columbia, SC 29201, Phone: 803.737.2260. Licensure indicates only that minimum standards have been met; it is not an endorsement of quality. Licensure is not equivalent to or synonymous with accreditation by an accrediting agency recognized by the U.S. Department of Education.

Grand Canyon University is authorized for operation as a postsecondary education institution by the Tennessee Commission on Higher Education. In order to view detailed job placement and graduation information on the programs offered by Grand Canyon University, please visit and click on the Authorized Institutions Data button.

This authorization must be renewed each year and is based on an evaluation by minimum standards concerning quality of education, ethical business practices, health and safety, and fiscal responsibility. A student may appeal an academically related University policy or decision, including tuition, fees, and Code of Conduct or Academic Dishonesty charge when extreme extenuating circumstances merit and where supporting documentation exists. Such grievances may involve, but are not limited to, final grades, discrimination, or harassment.

The appeal process is designed to offer the student two opportunities to be heard, as illustrated in the table below. Students should be aware that appeals in which policy or process was not followed, in which extenuating circumstances are not existent, are unlikely to be approved.

Students must file an online Grievance Form, the only acceptable manner for which is to submit a grievance. This form must be submitted with all supporting documentation that clearly and explicitly describes the grievance (including the actual policy being grieved), demonstrating he or she attempted in good faith to resolve the issues with the involved parties. Students are strongly encouraged to discuss the intended grievance with an Academic Counselor prior to submission.

Under extenuating circumstance, if the student believes the first level decision is unjust, the student may escalate the grievance to the second level by submitting another. Not liking the first level decision is not justification for filing a second grievance. A second appeal decision requires additional documentation to justify a re-submission of the grievance. The second level of appeal decision is the final decision of the University.

If a complaint is not settled at the institutional level, the student may contact the Tennessee Commission on Higher Education, Nashville, TN 37243-0830. Phone: 615.741.5293.

Transferability of Credits for Tennessee Students:
Credits earned at Grand Canyon University may not transfer to another educational institution. Credits earned at another educational institution may not be accepted by Grand Canyon University. You should obtain confirmation that Grand Canyon University will accept any credits you have earned at another educational institution before you execute an enrollment contract or agreement. You should also contact any educational institutions that you may want to transfer credits earned at Grand Canyon University to determine if such institutions will accept credits earned at Grand Canyon University prior to executing an enrollment contract or agreement. The ability to transfer credits from Grand Canyon University to another educational institution may be very limited. Your credits may not transfer and you may have to repeat courses previously taken at Grand Canyon University if you enroll in another educational institution. You should never assume that credits will transfer to or from any educational institution. It is highly recommended and you are advised to make certain that you know the transfer of credit policy of Grand Canyon University and of any other educational institutions you may in the future want to transfer the credits earned at Grand Canyon University before you execute an enrollment contract or agreement.

Grand Canyon University is authorized by the Washington Higher Education Coordinating Board (HECB) and meets the requirements and minimum educational standards established for degree-granting institutions under the Degree Authorization Act. This authorization is valid until July 15th, 2010, and authorizes Grand Canyon University to advertise and recruit for the following degree programs offered via distance learning: Master of Arts in Teaching; Master of Education in Curriculum and Instruction: Reading; Master of Education in Curriculum and Instruction: Technology; Master of Education in Education Administration; and Master of Education in Special Education for Certified Special Educators. Any person desiring information about the requirements of the Act or the applicability of those requirements to the institution may contact the HECB at P.O. Box 43430, Olympia, WA 98504-3430. Prospective Washington state students are advised to contact the Office of the Superintendent of Public Instruction at 360.725.6320 or to determine whether this education program is approved for teacher certification or endorsements in Washington State. Additionally, teachers are advised to contact their individual school district as to whether this program may qualify for salary advancement.