About GCU’s Local Outreach Efforts
Local Outreach (LO) is committed to serving our neighbors and positively impacting the community surrounding Grand Canyon University. We are excited about your interest in serving. Please review the steps below to see how you can get involved.
STEP 1: Attend a Local Outreach Orientation meeting. Orientations and background checks are required for all local outreach opportunities and they are offered free of charge. Please visit the Office of Spiritual Life in Prescott Hall Monday - Friday to complete this step.
STEP 2: Once you have been through orientation, you can choose a ministry to try out. See below for a description of ministry opportunities.
STEP 3: Fill out the form below and the team leader of the ministry you are interested in will contact you to get you started!
Every Saturday morning we invite the children in our neighborhood to Little Canyon Park for Bible stories, games and crafts. Meet at Thunder Alley.
Throughout the week, we reach out to the refugees that are resettling in Serrano Village.
- Serrano Kids: This ministry is similar to Canyon Kids, but geared specifically towards the refugee children living in the Serrano apartments. Volunteers teach Bible stories, play games, participate in crafts and partner with the Serrano community to help instill values.
- Serrano Tutoring: With hundreds of students living in Serrano Village, tutoring is a high need. Along with tutoring, volunteers have the opportunity to mentor and form spiritual relationships with kids and families.
- English Encouragers: Volunteers work with adults in Serrano as they learn to speak English more proficiently and strive to complete their American citizenship course. Students are expected to attend citizenship courses with their partner to better understand materials.
We have partnered with Changing Lives Center and Church on the Street to do as Jesus called us to do. In Matthew 25, Jesus encourages His people to feed the hungry, befriend the homeless and provide clothing for those in need.
- Changing Lives Center Kids Outreach: This ministry focuses specifically on women and children who have escaped an abusive home situation or found refuge from the dangers of living homeless. Students help lead worship services and interact with women and children weekly to communicate the hope found in Christ.
- Church on the Street: Every Wednesday and Thursday morning, students go downtown with Church on the Street to the Arizona CASS Shelter to serve breakfast, sing songs and hear the stories of various men and women who live among the homeless population in Phoenix.
Serve The City
Serve the City is an opportunity for the GCU body to come together once a semester and make a difference in our community. We mobilize hundreds of students and staff to bless others through painting projects, yard work and gardening, sorting clothes and much more.
We have partnered with Imagine Schools Cortez Park to help tutor with reading and math and build relationships with the students. There are incredible needs to aid the teachers in the classroom working with the large refugee population of students that attend this school.
Join our prayer team each week to grow closer to God and cover our campus and ministries in prayer.
- Prayer and Worship Nights: Every Wednesday at 8 p.m. Meet in the Prayer Chapel
- Surrender: Contact us for more details.