The U.S. Department of Veterans Affairs (VA) offers a number of VA college benefits to help eligible veterans pay the cost of outstanding tuition and fees. Grand Canyon University (GCU) can help you apply and use your approved Top-up as well as your Chapter 30 and/or Chapter 33 Post-9/11 GI Bill to cover the cost of your program. Eligibility for VA college benefits is based on the department's review and approval. The VA can provide up to the maximum amount payable to a veteran, but entitlements may be based on the program used.

GCU's Veterans Affairs Office includes a team of dedicated military benefit liaisons who process certifications for all VA and Vocational Rehabilitation entitlements. In efforts to uphold accuracy in reporting and maintain our audit score, all VA applications must be submitted to the Veterans Affairs Office. If you would like to use your entitlements, complete the three-step process below. Military enrollment representatives are available to assist you in the process.

Step 1: Determine Your VA College Benefits

Your military enrollment representative will guide you through the appropriate questions to determine which benefits are best for funding your degree program. Explore the benefits below to familiarize yourself with the programs available to you.

Chapter 30 - Montgomery GI Bill (MGIB-AD)

The Montgomery GI Bill - Active Duty (MGIB-AD) may be used for degree and certificate programs, flight training, apprenticeship or on-the-job training and correspondence courses. Contact the military enrollment team for more information by calling 855-GCU-LOPE and asking to speak to a military enrollment specialist.

Chapter 31 – Vocational Rehabilitation and Employment (VR&E)

The Vocational Rehabilitation and Employment (VR&E) Program assists veterans with service-connected disabilities gain post-secondary training at a college, vocational, technical or business school. These services help veterans prepare for, find and keep suitable jobs. Learn more by visiting

Chapter 33 – Post 9/11 GI Bill

The Post-9/11 GI Bill provides financial support for education and housing to individuals seeking degrees, vocational or technical training, on-the-job training, flight training, correspondence training and licensing and more. To determine eligibility and eligibility percentage, contact your regional benefits office.

The Yellow Ribbon Program

The Yellow Ribbon Program is a provision of the Post-9/11 Veterans Educational Assistance Act and allows educational institutions in the U.S. to fund expenses that exceed the annual maximum cap for private institutions. Accordingly, the VA will match the institution’s amount. GCU is excited to participate in this program and annually contributes up to $1,000 to each eligible student enrolled in an undergraduate, graduate or doctoral program. Learn more at

Chapter 35 – Survivors' and Dependents' Educational Assistance (DEA)

The Survivors' and Dependents' Educational Assistance (DEA) Program provides up to 90 months of education benefits and training opportunities to eligible dependents and survivors of certain veterans. For more information about this benefit, visit

Chapter 1606 – Montgomery GI Bill – Select Reserve (MGIB-SR)

The Montgomery GI Bill – Select Reserve (MGIB-SR) is for those participating in the Selected Reserve in the Army Reserve, Naval Reserve, Air Force Reserve, Marine Corps Reserve, Coast Guard Reserve, Army National Guard and Air National Guard. The Department of Veterans Affairs administers the program. Learn more at

Step 2: Apply for Your VA College Benefits

With the assistance of your military enrollment counselor, complete all necessary VA forms to begin the VA college benefits application process. If you do not have a Certificate of Eligibility from the regional VA office for GCU, complete the appropriate Veterans Online Application (VONAPP) for your benefits.

Servicemembers with questions can reach our university's certifying officer here.

Step 3: Submit VA Forms to GCU Veterans Affairs Office

Submit the following documents to the GCU Veterans Affairs Office and to your enrollment counselor. Call us at 855-GCU-LOPE for additional questions about educational benefits.