- Doctor of Nursing Practice
- Master's in Nursing Degree Programs
- BSN to MSN Fast Track Option
- Nursing Bridge Programs
- Individual Courses
- Evening Programs
- Online Programs
- Main Campus
- ATEP Admission Requirements
- Athletic Training Program Materials
- Athletic Training Program Mission and Goals
- Athletic Training Program Prerequisite Courses
- ATEP FAQs
- BSN Admission Requirements
- Application Process
- BSN Pre-Licensure Locations
- BSN Pre-Licensure FAQs
- Pre-Licensure Orientation
- About Us
- Contact Nu Upsilon
- Frequently Asked Questions
- Nu Upsilon Scholarships
- STTI Benefits
Program Application and Clinical Course Requirements Check Sheet
Important Note: Acceptance into the Athletic Training Education Program is competitive. Not all students will be admitted into the clinical coursework which begins in the sophomore year. Acceptance is determined by the Athletic Training Education Program Admission criteria and the availability of clinical sites. All interested students must attend mandatory advising meetings prior to applying to the clinical portion of the athletic training program. Please contact advising for more information.
Step 1 - Prerequisite Courses
The following prerequisite courses MUST be completed prior to admission to the program.
UNV 103 - University Success
ENG 105 - English Composition I
ENG 106 - English Composition II
MAT 134 - Applications of Algebra
CWV 101 - Christian Worldview
BIO 155 (or BIO 201 and BIO 202) - Anatomy & Physiology
BIO 155L (or BIO 201L and BIO 202L) - Anatomy & Physiology Lab
EXS 214 - Care & Prevention of Athletic Injuries (only accepted from GCU)
EXS 214L - Care & Prevention Lab (only accepted from GCU)
BIO 253 - Emergency Care for Acute Injuries (only accepted from GCU)
Students MUST review the following program essentials:
For course descriptions, view the Academic Catalog
For general academic requirements and regulations, view the GCU Policy Handbook. Please note a minimum GPA of 3.0 is required at the time of application into the clinical portion of the athletic training program.
Are you a transfer student?
Courses MUST be approved by GCU before transfer. Please speak with a Student Services Advisor for more info. See above for courses that must be taken at GCU.
Step 2 - Application Process
Complete the step 2 paperwork by March 1, for consideration for admission into the clinical portion of the Athletic Training Program. All information must be completed and submitted electronically to ATEPclinicalforms@gcu.edu.
- Admission Form - Complete the form and submit
- Knowledge of Athletic Training Essay- Describe your understanding of the profession of athletic training. Why do you want to be a Certified Athletic Trainer? What are your goals in this Profession? What is your understanding of the time requirements for course work? What is your understanding of the time requirement for clinical rotations? The essay will be scored and the results will be factored in to the admission criteria
- ATEP Entrance Exam- Upon submission of the admission form, students will be required to take an entrance exam. The information for the exam will be based on prerequisite course work and general knowledge of the profession of Athletic Training. Students will be notified of dates and times for the entrance exam via the email address provided on the admission form. The results of the exam will be factored in to the admission criteria.
Student selection will be based on grades in prerequisite coursework, overall GPA, Entrance Exam Score and Knowledge of Athletic Training Entrance Essay score.
May 31- After review of all applicant materials, an acceptance/declination email letter will be sent to all applicants. Students must respond within one week to express their intent to continue into the clinical portion of the athletic training program.
Step 3 - Clinical Course Requirements
In order to meet all CAATE accreditation standards and guidelines as well as liability and health precautions, all students must complete the following information by August 1 prior to starting their first clinical course (EXS 322) in the fall. All information must be completed and submitted electronically to ATEPclinicalforms@gcu.edu by the due date. Failure to do so may result in loss of clinical spot and require reapplication to the program.
- AzDPS Fingerprint Clearance card - submit a scanned copy of the card (front and back)
Students are required to compete the regular application (not an IVP) and check off the box for Health Science Student & Clinical Assistant (ARS 15-1881) for their clinical assignments. It is required for clinical rotation sites and completed through the Arizona Department of Public Safety. www.azdps.gov . This process will take 6-8 weeks.
You may obtain an application packet from AzDPS by either calling (602) 223-2279 or faxing your request to (602) 223-2947.
When requesting an application packet please make sure you specify that you need the "regular" application packet.
- Professional rescuer CPR certification current through the academic year - submit a scanned copy (front and back)
The student must sign up and complete an appropriate Emergency Cardiac Care (ECC) course as described on the Board of Certification website www.bocatc.org
American Heart Association
BLS Healthcare Provider
American Red Cross
CPR/AED for the Professional Rescuer
American Safety and Health Institute
CPR for Professionals
Emergency Care and Safety Institute
Health Care Provider CPR
National Safety Council
Basic Life Support for Health Care and Professional Rescuers
- First Aid Certification current through academic year - submit a scanned copy
The student must sign up and complete a first aid certification course.
Accepted First Aid certifications can be acquired from one of the following:
- American Heart Association
- American Red Cross
- American Safety and Health Institute
- Emergency Care and Safety Institute
- National Safety Council
- Technical Standards Agreement - Submit a scanned copy of the signed and completed form
Read and sign the technical standards form provided.
- Health History and Physical Examination - Submit a scanned copy of the signed and completed form.
This examination will include immunization review of immunization or immunity for Measles, Mumps, Rubella and technical standards review. Must be completed on the form provided.
- Student Liability Insurance - (must be renewed annually, see student liability insurance section).
**Students must also submit an electronic copy of their policy in addition to this form**Liability insurance is meant to protect the student during clinical rotations. It is not the same as health insurance. There are many places to get Athletic Training Student liability insurance including those listed on the form.
- Athletic Training Student name badge - submit a scanned copy of the name badge
Complete the form and submit with appropriate cost to the GCU bookstore as listed on the form, once you have received your name badge, scan a copy and submit. This process may take up to 2 weeks.
- Hepatitis B vaccination - submit a scanned copy of the form provided
You must provide proof of Hepatitis B vaccination or sign a waiver form declining vaccination.
- Manadatory Athletic Training Student Orientation held on campus each Fall
All students must attend Athletic Training Student Orientation including Bloodborne Pathogen training and Patient privacy.