Recreation and Performance Centers
Lopes Fitness Centers
GCU boasts five (5) student recreation center locations to accommodate the fitness needs and goals of our students, faculty and staff.
- Chaparral Fitness Center (NOW OPEN): Located in Chaparral Hall, this full-service facility is equipped with treadmills, stationary bikes, strength equipment and free weights.
- Papago I Fitness Center (Opening Oct. 2014): Located on the first floor of our new on-campus apartment complex, this full-service fitness center mirrors the Chaparral Fitness Center. It also features a large exercise room that is the new home for spin classes. The classes will be limited to 17 participants on first-come, first-served basis.
- Papago II Fitness Center (Opening Oct. 2014): This is the largest fitness center on campus for students. This facility is the new home of aerobics as well as other fitness classes including Zumba, yoga, boot camp and more.
- Roadrunner Fitness Center (Opening Oct. 2014): This self-service facility in the Student Union is equipped with treadmills, stationary bikes, strength equipment and free weights.
- 27th Avenue (NOW OPEN): Valuing our employees, this site was built exclusively for our GCU staff members. This facility features top-of-the-line workout equipment and fitness classes in the large Sanctuary.
Learn about the fitness classes offered at the Recreation Center.
Lopes Performance Center
Our beautiful 55,000-square-foot recreation center is the training home to our NCAA Division I student-athletes.
- Three full-size basketball courts are the centerpiece of this multi-purpose facility. Two of the courts are fully accessible to intramural volleyball and basketball teams during the season and available for students, faculty and staff to enjoy while not in use. The third court has been designated as a practice court for the Lopes men's and women's basketball teams.
- The Performance Athletic Center (PAC) on the ground level is used for training student-athletes. The second floor is equipped with additional weights and fitness machines for athletes to access if other teams are training in the PAC.
- On the second floor, the wrestling team takes to the mats in a huge practice area. Also on the second floor, a large studio is home to the university's dance and cheer teams and used by the PAC staff for core and stretching work.