VA College Benefits and Yellow Ribbon Program

Discover Your VA Education Benefits at GCU

The U.S. Department of Veterans Affairs (VA) offers a number of VA education benefits to help eligible veterans pay the cost of outstanding tuition and fees. Grand Canyon University (GCU) can help you apply to use your VA GI Bill® benefits or your Veteran Readiness and Employment benefits (VR&E) to assist with the cost of your program.

GCU is a Yellow Ribbon school. This program allows institutions of higher learning in the U.S. to voluntarily enter into an agreement with the VA to help fund tuition expenses for veterans. As a Yellow Ribbon college, we are proud to support this initiative to help make education more affordable for our veterans.

Eligibility for all VA education benefits is based on the department's review and approval. The VA determines eligibility and education benefits.

GCU's Veterans Affairs Office includes a team of dedicated military benefit liaisons who process certifications for all VA and Veteran Readiness and Employment entitlements. In efforts to uphold accuracy in reporting, all VA applications must be submitted to the Veterans Affairs Office, through your military university counselor. If you would like to use your entitlements, complete the three-step process below. Military university counselors are available to assist you in the process toward obtaining your military education benefits.

Contact us at for more information.

Step 1: Determine Your Veterans Education Benefits

Your military university counselor will guide you through the appropriate questions to determine which benefits are best for funding your degree program. Explore the benefits below to familiarize yourself with the programs available to you.

The Montgomery GI Bill® - Active Duty (MGIB-AD) may be used for degree and certificate programs. Contact a military university counselor for more information by filling out this form.

The VA, through the VR&E program, assists service members and veterans with service-connected disabilities and an employment handicap to prepare for, obtain and maintain suitable employment. Services are individualized and based on the service member or veteran’s needs. You may find additional information and application instructions at the U.S. Department of Veterans Affairs website.

The Post-9/11 GI Bill® provides financial support to help eligible veterans pay the cost of tuition and fees. GCU can help you apply to use your VA GI Bill® benefits to assist with the cost of your program. To determine eligibility and eligibility percentage, contact your regional benefits office.

The Chapter 35 VA benefits, also known as the Survivors' and Dependents' Educational Assistance (DEA) Program, provides education benefits and training opportunities to eligible dependents and survivors of certain veterans. The GI Bill® Chapter 35 benefits are offered to those who qualify. For more information about this Chapter 35 benefit, visit the U.S. Department of Veterans Affairs website.

The Montgomery GI Bill® – Select Reserve (MGIB-SR) is for those participating in the Selected Reserve in the Army Reserve, Naval Reserve, Air Force Reserve, Marine Corps Reserve, Coast Guard Reserve, Army National Guard, and Air National Guard. The Department of Veterans Affairs administers the program. Learn more at the U.S. Department of Veterans Affairs website.

The Yellow Ribbon Program is a provision of the Post-9/11 Veterans Educational Assistance Act and allows educational institutions in the U.S. to fund expenses that exceed the annual maximum cap for private institutions. Accordingly, the VA will match the institution's amount. GCU is proud to be a Yellow Ribbon school and to participate in this program. We annually contribute up to $1,000 to each eligible student enrolled in an undergraduate, graduate or doctoral program. Learn more at the U.S. Department of Veterans Affairs website.

GCU Student on laptop sitting in chair

Step 2: Apply for Your VA College Benefits

With the assistance of your military university counselor, complete all necessary VA forms to begin the VA education benefits application process. If you do not have a Certificate of Eligibility from the VA, please complete the appropriate online application at

If you have questions regarding this step, complete this form and ask to speak a military university counselor.

Military serviceman looks at laptop with wife

Step 3: Submit VA Forms to GCU Veterans Affairs Office

Once you have completed your application form for VA education benefits, please submit completed documents to your military university counselor. For additional questions or assistance complete this form and a university counselor will be in contact with you.

Grand Canyon University will certify eligible VA benefits in two stages. An initial certification will be submitted with $0 tuition and fees. A subsequent certification will be submitted no later than 60 days after the beginning of the term. To begin the initial certification phase, students must acknowledge and complete the certification request document in their student portal prior to the start of each course.

Veterans benefits processing aide helps student

The appearance of U.S. Department of Defense (DoD) or Military-themed visual information does not imply or constitute DoD endorsement.

GI Bill® is a registered trademark of the U.S. Department of Veterans Affairs (VA). More information about education benefits offered by VA is available at the official U.S. government website at

Scroll back to top