Earn an Accredited Bachelor of Science Athletic Training Degree
The Bachelor of Science (BS) in Athletic Training degree at Grand Canyon University (GCU) gives graduates hands-on experience at becoming athletic trainers. Students in this program participate in laboratory classes and clinical rotations at athletic and rehabilitation facilities. They combine theory and practice to go on to become well-rounded athletic trainers. In this athletic training program at GCU, students who successfully complete the coursework are prepared to take the Board of Certification (BOC) exam.
Athletic training degree program graduates study all the topics they need to prepare for future roles. Some ways of preparation include:
- Participating in the Sports Medicine Club
- Working with professional healthcare organizations
- Completing a research-based capstone project
- Taking BOC prep courses
- Completing clinical rotations on and off campus
Study Kinesiology and Physiology
The GCU College of Nursing and Health Care Professions designed this program to enable all athletic training degree graduates to be well-prepared in their future careers. The coursework for the bachelor's in athletic training degree program is focused on domains that emphasize:
- Injury and Illness Prevention and Wellness Promotion
- Examination, Assessment and Diagnosis
- Immediate and Emergency Care
- Therapeutic Intervention
- Health Care Administration and Professional Responsibility
These domains ensure that athletic training degree graduates have mastered advanced scientific and healthcare concepts. Students in the program study human anatomy and physiology, exercise prescription, prevention of injury, and taping and bracing. Additionally, students will learn how to formulate rehabilitation plans and conduct orthopedic evaluations.
What You Can Do With an Athletic Training Degree
Graduates from the BS in Athletic Training degree program at GCU may go on to become certified athletic trainers, sports coaches and more. People in these roles work in a variety of settings, including:
- High schools
- Professional sports
If you’d like to work with athletes in a training capacity, a degree in athletic training may be the right choice for you. Learn more about the Bachelor of Science in Athletic Training at Grand Canyon University and take the first step toward an athletic training career.
General Education Requirements
General Education coursework prepares Grand Canyon University graduates to think critically, communicate clearly, live responsibly in a diverse world, and thoughtfully integrate their faith and ethical convictions into all dimensions of life. These competencies, essential to an effective and satisfying life, are outlined in the General Education Learner Outcomes. General Education courses embody the breadth of human understanding and creativity contained in the liberal arts and sciences tradition. Students take an array of foundational knowledge courses that promote expanded knowledge, insight, and the outcomes identified in the University's General Education Competencies. The knowledge and skills students acquire through these courses serve as a foundation for successful careers and lifelong journeys of growing understanding and wisdom.
* Please note that this list may contain programs and courses not presently offered, as availability may vary depending on class size, enrollment and other contributing factors. If you are interested in a program or course listed herein please first contact your University Counselor for the most current information regarding availability.
* Please refer to the Academic Catalog for more information. Programs or courses subject to change.