Support programs serve to improve and provide educational opportunities for the K12 community, including students, educational professionals and parents across broad learning communities.
Explore the support programs we offer to help students and educational professionals prepare for future success, such as high school dual enrollment, the GCU Learning Lounge and our Educational Outreach and Support programs, which includes Canyon Professional Development and STEM support programs.
Canyon Professional Development
Today's classrooms require skill, creativity and a healthy dose of inspiration. That is why educators are turning to GCU's Canyon Professional Development (Canyon PD) for future-focused programs that are geared toward diverse and demanding 21st century schools. Canyon PD generates excitement and excellence through a broad offering of learning opportunities, STEM-focused initiatives and live events for administrators and teachers.
Canyon Professional Development Directory
We know the value of effective professional development conveniently taught at your school. Canyon PD offers customized sessions for staff, administrators and families on today's latest educational topics, taught by educational experts, delivered at your school to meet your timely needs.
Canyon PD delivers insight, instruction and support that is critical for leadership success through:
- Canyon PD Directory
- Principals’ Collaborative Community
- Superintendents’ Collaborative Network in collaboration with the Arizona Department of Education and Arizona School Administrators Association
Canyon PD offers professional development and networking opportunities for busy teaching professionals through:
- Canyon PD Directory
- Host for Kagan Cooperative Learning training opportunities
- Code.org Professional Learning Program in collaboration with Science Foundation Arizona
- AZ Summit featuring Google for Education in partnership with EdTechTeam and Arizona K12 Center
For more information and to request a session, visit gcu.edu/CanyonPD.
Some Canyon PD popular topics are listed below. Visit gcu.edu/CanyonPD to see an extensive topic list with descriptions and Canyon PD expert bios.
- STEM Curriculum Design
- Data-Driven Decisions
- Formative Assessment
- Differentiated Instruction
- Response to Intervention
- Brain-Based Teaching
- Technology Integration
- Classroom Management
- Mathematical Practice and Concepts
- Building Cultures and Communities
- Grants: Funding Through Support
- Classroom Centers-Tiered Approach
- Basic Computer Programming and Coding
- Summer Institute: Program-specific overnight camps for grades 10 - 12
- Thunder Vision STEM Experience: Interactive day STEM camps for grades 6 - 9
- Summer Science Camp: Science Free day camp, hosted by the GCU Learning Lounge for grades 2 - 5
- Lopes Sports Camps: Athletic camps taught by GCU coaches and players for all ages and skill levels.
High School Dual Enrollment
Eligible high school students enrolled in participating educational alliance programs can get a head start on earning college credits at GCU. Learn about campus and online dual enrollment opportunities for excelling high school students.
GCU Learning Lounge
The GCU Learning Lounge offers learning services and assistance to help K-12 students improve academic performance, raise grades in core areas of study, become more confident in the classroom and reach their potential. These sessions are led by learning advocates (LEADs) who are trained to help students excel academically within a supportive, comfortable learning environment.
K12 Targeted School Assistance
In conjunction with the College of Education and the GCU Learning Lounge, K12 Educational Development is partnering with community schools to offer services including tutoring and mentorship led by GCU students, COE/school faculty guidance and visits, opportunities for educator, student and parent development and engagement, and support for creating a positive, inspiring campus culture.
Volunteer Opportunities at GCU
Service is at the cornerstone of GCU's values. Leading a wide variety of volunteer programs, GCU offers students, faculty and staff numerous occasions to be of service to the local and global community. Each year, we host a variety of events, including service opportunities through our partnership with Habitat for Humanity, the annual Run to Fight Children's Cancer and our Canyon Cares Christmas initiative. Through our outreach efforts, we carry out our mission of helping students to become global citizens and servant leaders who make an impact on their community. Learn how you can get involved in our outreach efforts.