BUSINESS NEWS & EVENTS
Grand Canyon University (GCU) offers opportunities for you to grow within the classroom and beyond. Our business college hosts exciting events throughout the year, and our students, alumni and faculty have been recognized for their outstanding achievements in the fields of business. See what is new at GCU, from events and blog features to our latest accolades.
CCOB Awards and Acknowledgements
We are proud of the impact our Lopes are making in the local business landscape. Learn about our latest accomplishments:
- For sports business student Alex Carlson, his internship was a hoop dream. Carlson received the internship of a lifetime at the Jordan Brand Classic in Brooklyn, NY. He was given the opportunity to mentor high school basketball players from around the world at the 14th annual all-star event, sponsored by the signature clothing and apparel line that Nike created with basketball great Michael Jordan.
- A team of students in a Principles of Marketing class at GCU impacted local companies. The team did a project on Uber, which operates mobile transportation networks, and came up with the idea to have Uber market a program with Mothers Against Drunk Drivers (MADD). Not only did company executives arrange a meeting with the GCU team and give the students T-shirts, sunglasses and coupons for free rides, but they also adopted the program.
- On GCU Senior Night, Austin Walker demonstrated an enthusiasm and excitement for learning that coincided with his high GPA. He was an exceptional intern with the Arizona Diamondbacks and the first president of the GCU Sports Business Club. Walker had the honor of speaking on behalf of GCU students at the Colangelo College of Business dedication ceremony last year and continues to be a person of strong faith, character and integrity.
- Colangelo scholarships transformed the lives of high school seniors Jocelyn Arellano of Maryvale High School , Brendan Dyer of Chandler High School and Dulce Carreon of Alhambra High School. In April 2015, Colangelo College of Business Dean Randy Gibb, PhD, presented the awardees with full scholarships to attend GCU.
- Judges selected Joblyt as the grand prize winner of the 2015 Canyon Challenge, which was hosted by the Colangelo College of Business before an estimated crowd of 400 in GCU Arena. Brad Scruggs, Ahmad Saleem and Brian Scruggs, instructional assistants in the College of Science, Engineering and Technology, received a $7,000 check for first place, plus $4,000 more for nabbing 49 percent of the votes in a 20-hour texting campaign drawing nearly 5,200 voters.
- GCU's 2015 Alumni Hall of Fame inductees were honored during a special ceremony. Representing the Colangelo College of Business, Mitchell Laird, a graduate of GCU's business administration program, was drafted into Major League Baseball for his pitching skills but passed to pursue his academic interests. Laird went on to gain his JD from Arizona State University before acting as legal counsel and instructor of business law at GCU for nearly three decades.
Colangelo College of Business Blog
BusinessBuzz provides insight into the 21st century business world, with original posts written by faculty, staff and students. Explore our virtual forum of business perceptions and experiences, developed by GCU students, faculty and colleagues.