Apply your knowledge from your Bachelor of Social Work degree toward Grand Canyon University’s Master of Social Work (Advance Standing) degree and graduate more quickly. In this Advanced Standing master’s degree, you will gain specialized skills and knowledge in the areas surrounding social work theory, practice and social work ethics.
As a graduate of this advance standing MSW program, you will be equipped to work effectively with individuals, families, groups, organizations and communities on various social and behavioral health issues.
Help Improve Lives in Your Community With GCU's Advanced Standing MSW Program
Advance standing MSW students will be prepared to actively engage in social justice issues affecting each system level, employing evidence-based practice strategies and interventions through this advanced generalist specialization. As a graduate of a Bachelor of Social Work CSWE accredited program, you already have knowledge to help others. Earning a MSW degree can strengthen your skill set and provide additional tools for helping improve the lives of others.
What Can You Do With an Advanced Standing MSW?
Social workers are valuable in many different settings, providing a wide variety of career paths. Graduates of a MSW program may choose to become a social worker at schools or within healthcare organizations. Social workers can also choose to work with families or individuals. You may choose to specialize in various areas such as gerontology, criminal justice or healthcare.
Alternatively, you can pursue a career as a clinical licensed social worker or therapist. This role requires certification as a Licensed Clinical Social Worker (LCSW) and includes post graduate supervised practice. The requirements for licensure are set by the state. Be sure to check your state’s requirements as you work toward this goal.
The GCU Difference
GCU’s online Advance Standing MSW program adheres to the social work standards and competencies established by the Council on Social Work Education (CSWE). GCU is committed to providing a quality education taught by seasoned professors. The content of the program is designed to provide a competitive edge in the workforce, focusing on pivotal areas including:
- Ethical and professional behavior
- Diversity and difference in practice
- Human rights and social, economic and environmental justice
- Practice-informed research and research-informed practice
- Policy practice
- Engaging with individuals, families, groups, organizations and communities
- Assessing individuals, families, groups, organizations and communities
- Intervening with individuals, families, groups, organizations and communities
- Evaluating practice with individuals, families, groups, organizations and communities
GCU also provides a distinct MSW education, integrating Christian worldview and ethics throughout the courses. Graduates will be able to express aspects of the Christian worldview, which affect human value and dignity, ethical decision making, academic disciplines and vocation.
Advanced Standing MSW FAQs
View our frequently asked questions for this online advance standing MSW program.
* Please note that this list may contain programs and courses not presently offered, as availability may vary depending on class size, enrollment and other contributing factors. If you are interested in a program or course listed herein please first contact your University Counselor for the most current information regarding availability.
* Please refer to the Academic Catalog for more information. Programs or courses subject to change.