Earn Your Theatre BA Degree at GCU
Your love of drama and theatre may lead you to pursue a meaningful career in the performing arts. Aspiring stage performers, directors and theatre technicians are welcome to apply to the theatre degree program at Grand Canyon University. The Bachelor of Arts in Theatre and Drama introduces students to the fundamentals of the entertainment industry, from stage management and design to directing and acting. Theatre and drama students acquire an in-depth background in dramatic literature and theatre production, learning crucial skills that are applicable in real-world settings.
The BA in Theatre and Drama degree is offered through the College of Fine Arts and Production. Within GCU’s welcoming, faith-based learning community, students thrive on an invigorating curriculum that covers the art of stagecraft, including set and prop construction. Fully qualified instructors who are experts in their fields guide students in the exploration and interpretation of acting and in dramatic literature from early Greece to contemporary times.
All applicants to the theatre and drama Bachelor of Arts degree program are required to undergo an audition prior to acceptance.
Study the Art of Theatre Production and Acting
The study of drama and theatre empowers students to become accomplished communicators, capable of connecting with a diverse range of audiences in order to share their passion for performance art. The coursework challenges students’ analytical and critical thinking skills, while hands-on exercises encourage students to fine-tune their acting and production skills. In courses such as Voice and Movement for the Stage, Fundamentals of Theatrical Design and Playwriting, students will acquire the following core competencies:
- Create an original play using the theoretical aspects of dramatic literature, acting and scenography
- Understand the essential elements of scenography, including scenic, lighting, costume and makeup design
- Know how to use voice production and movement to express a character’s intentions in order to produce a compelling and engaging performance
- Apply the theories and techniques of interpreting and directing plays through laboratory projects directing one-acts or scenes from full-length plays
- Design and construct a costume of the student’s own design for a stage production
In addition, this degree program collaborates with the music program throughout the year to produce several major theatrical productions. Auditions for the Ethington Theatre Series, the student-run Second Series and the Cantalopes Improvisation Club are open to the entire student body. Theatre degree students are strongly encouraged to participate to gain hands-on experience and build a personal portfolio of accomplishments.
Prepare for a Future in Entertainment With a Bachelor of Arts in Theatre and Drama
Drama and theatre is an exciting career field for graduates with a passion for the stage. Students will graduate from this theatre and drama BA degree program prepared to embrace the challenges of stage production in all its aspects. Some graduates may choose to pursue an acting career on the stage or in the TV and film industry. Other career possibilities that may be related to a theatre degree may include the following:
- Community arts worker
- Theatre director or stage manager
- Lighting designer
- Casting director
- Props manager
- Set designer
In addition, GCU students acquire foundational knowledge that is applicable to a wide range of industries and career paths. Critical thinking, strong communication skills and collaborative teamwork are skills that are transferrable across industries. Some students may choose to continue their studies by pursuing a master’s degree in a related field.
General Education Requirements
General Education coursework prepares Grand Canyon University graduates to think critically, communicate clearly, live responsibly in a diverse world, and thoughtfully integrate their faith and ethical convictions into all dimensions of life. These competencies, essential to an effective and satisfying life, are outlined in the General Education Learner Outcomes. General Education courses embody the breadth of human understanding and creativity contained in the liberal arts and sciences tradition. Students take an array of foundational knowledge courses that promote expanded knowledge, insight, and the outcomes identified in the University’s General Education Competencies. The knowledge and skills students acquire through these courses serve as a foundation for successful careers and lifelong journeys of growing understanding and wisdom.
* Please note that this list may contain programs and courses not presently offered, as availability may vary depending on class size, enrollment and other contributing factors. If you are interested in a program or course listed herein please first contact your University Counselor for the most current information regarding availability.
* Please refer to the Academic Catalog for more information. Programs or courses subject to change.