Discuss Biblical Foundations From a Modern Perspective
The Undergraduate Certificate in Biblical Studies at Grand Canyon University can provide you with a comprehensive, in-depth overview of biblical knowledge, including a survey of the Old and New Testaments. While completing your certificate, you will be taught how to:
- Accurately interpret Scripture using hermeneutical principles
- Identify ethical principles in Scripture
- Identify the role of Scripture in the formation of Christian values
- Lead others in their spiritual formation based on biblical and theological principles
- Demonstrate awareness of the culture and historical backgrounds of the Old and New Testaments
Once you have completed the certificate, you should have the capability to analyze, interpret and accurately share this information with others to help teach them, guide them and accompany them in their spiritual formation. If you are looking to gain overall basic knowledge of the Old and New Testaments for your own personal, spiritual or professional growth, you may be an ideal candidate for this certificate program.
Course Topics in the Biblical Studies Certificate Program
Throughout your certificate program, you will complete course materials that can help you gain an understanding of biblical principles and Scripture in both the Old and New Testaments. Course topics you will cover include:
- Old Testament
- New Testament
- Interpreting and applying the Bible
- Analysis of specific biblical genres including historical texts, the prophets, the Gospels and epistles
In your Old and New Testament courses, there is emphasis placed on understanding the biblical narrative and genres, as well as the major historical period and various theological terms. You will also complete a writing intensive course, where you will have the opportunity to use and learn basic principles of biblical hermeneutics. In this course, you will receive an introduction to biblical interpretation and application to contemporary issues, developing practical procedures and skills. Your final course will include a study of the Gospels and Acts of the New Testament, where you will focus on interpretation of passages and identifying textual issues and theological themes.
Career Paths for Graduates With a Certificate in Biblical Studies
This certificate in Biblical Studies online is designed to prepare you with the knowledge necessary to be able to share and teach others about interpretative principles and their connection with Christian values and spiritual formation. Once you complete this certificate, you may pursue a position as a Christian leader in the church. You may also choose to explore positions teaching others, such as through the role of a religious activities and education director.
Biblical Studies Certificate Online Program FAQs
If you’re considering earning this undergraduate certificate, read through some commonly asked questions to gain insight into this program and possible career paths.
If you feel called to dive deeper into biblical studies and enroll in this undergraduate certificate program, fill out the form on this page to get in contact with a university counselor.
* Please note that this list may contain programs and courses not presently offered, as availability may vary depending on class size, enrollment and other contributing factors. If you are interested in a program or course listed herein please first contact your University Counselor for the most current information regarding availability.
* Please refer to the Academic Catalog for more information. Programs or courses subject to change.