Learn Advanced Education Concepts With an EdS in Educational K-12 Leadership
If you are an active teacher who holds a master’s degree, you can enhance your skill set and broaden your applicable knowledge by earning your EdS in educational K-12 leadership degree.
The Education Specialist in K-12 Leadership program at Grand Canyon University (GCU) focuses on the improvement of instructional skills, allowing teachers to potentially advance their career qualifications without having to complete a dissertation or residency. As a graduate of the online Education Specialist program, you will be taught the skills needed to position yourself for potential leadership roles within the diverse education field.
Offered by the College of Doctoral Studies, the EdS degree builds knowledge in ethics, research and theory with a focus on educational policy development, staffing, organizational leadership and instructional supervision. The EdS coursework guides learners in acquiring core competencies that are immediately applicable in the field. Using an analysis-driven approach, learners examine best practices in leadership that support teaming at all levels and the maintenance of a diverse learning infrastructure.
Benefits of Earning an Online Educational Specialist Degree at GCU
The EdS program’s coursework guides learners in developing a firm grasp on organizational leadership, staffing and supervision at the building and district levels. GCU strives to transform you into a confident communicator, able to convey complex information to a variety of educational stakeholders.
As a Christian university, GCU’s curriculum emphasizes professional ethics and the Christian worldview. As an aspiring education leader, you will have the opportunity to emerge from the educational specialist degree in K-12 leadership prepared to address the challenges of the modern school by exploring key concepts in:
- Educational policy development
- Servant leadership thought
- K-12 community building
- Ethical decision-making and stewardship
Earn your EdS degree at GCU with specialized coursework. The entire degree can be completed online via our intuitive learning platform, enabling you to connect with your instructors and benefit from diverse views of your peers. A total of 30 credits are required to complete the online educational specialist degree in K-12 leadership. Online classes are eight weeks in length.
Learn Crucial Education Skills and Concepts in the EdS K-12 Leadership Program
In this online EdS degree program, learners will study the following topic areas:
- Seminal leadership theories and models, with a look at the evolution of leadership theories and the range of leadership research
- Long-range strategic planning in K-12 education based on the establishment of a shared mission, vision and goals among internal and external stakeholders, including a survey of professional and facilities development
- Horizontal and vertical collaboration to ensure consistency in instructional practice
- Current and emerging leadership strategies and classroom practices in K-12 education
Career Paths for Graduates of This EdS Program
As a K-12 teacher with an online EdS degree, you will be taught to thoughtfully lead and inspire others within the educational community. This degree program empowers educators to become more effective K-12 instructors for the betterment of their students. You may wish to pursue opportunities in school administration or consulting, such as:
- Curriculum director
- Department head
For higher level positions such as principal and superintendent, please be sure to check your state’s requirements before pursuing those career paths.
Online Education Specialist in K-12 Leadership Degree FAQs
To learn more about what you can do with an educational K-12 leadership specialist degree, read our answers to these frequently asked questions:
GCU alumni enrolling in a doctoral program for the first time may be eligible for a $2,000 scholarship.§
§ MOU-Alumni 2000 Doctoral-Oct2023: The Alumni Scholarship for Doctoral Programs is only valid for those applicants who submit a complete application and begin a Doctoral program in October 2023. This scholarship cannot be used in conjunction with any other GCU scholarship or awards and only applies to online and evening programs. Please speak to a university counselor for complete details.
If seeking licensure or certification, applicants to the program are responsible for contacting their state department of education for licensure requirements and program approval. In addition, fingerprint/background clearance is required.
* Please note that this list may contain programs and courses not presently offered, as availability may vary depending on class size, enrollment and other contributing factors. If you are interested in a program or course listed herein please first contact your University Counselor for the most current information regarding availability.
* Please refer to the Academic Catalog for more information. Programs or courses subject to change.