What Is a Certificate in Christian Counseling?
The online Graduate Certificate of Completion in Christian Counseling program at Grand Canyon University offers an introduction to counseling theory within a Christian worldview. Students will take courses that integrate a Christ-centered approach to emotional and behavioral health difficulties, including:
- Assess major counseling theories in light of a Christian worldview
- Establish a biblical and theological foundation as it informs counseling practice
- Evaluate ethical issues in counseling from a Christian perspective
- Incorporate a Christian approach to spiritual growth and emotional health for life and practice
- Integrate a Christ-centered approach into the implementation of counseling therapies
This certificate in Christian counseling does not lead to certification or licensure.
The Christian Counseling Certificate Program at GCU
The Christian counseling certificate program at GCU is ideal for students who want to learn how to help others and, potentially, move forward to earn a master’s in counseling. This online certificate program integrates the Christian worldview and the Bible into counseling or helping-field concepts. It teaches the boundaries and limitations for helpers, counseling theories, and the relationship between biblical concepts and healthy relationships.
What Do You Study in the Christian Counseling Certificate Program?
The online Christian counseling certificate program consists of four courses that address the integration of counseling theory, Christian worldview, the study of spiritual formation and more.
- Biblical Foundations for Counselors: The Story of God
A narrative approach to the theology of God, humanity and salvation. Students learn to apply the story of the Bible to the life and practice as Christian counselors.
- Spiritual Formation: Becoming a Healthy Practitioner
An introduction to spiritual formation with attention to classical spiritual disciplines and stages of growth as well as an exploration into personal spiritual health and character development with implications for counseling practice.
- Biblical Concepts-Healthy Relationships: Forgiveness & Healthy Spirituality
An exploration of relational health in connection with topics including self-assessment, forgiveness, reconciliation with God and others, and the pursuit of spiritual health. Personal practice and implementation in professional counseling are emphasized.
- Integration of Scripture with Counseling Theory
Students explore the integration of the Christian worldview into counseling theory and practice. Emphasis is placed on the nature and purpose of human beings from a biblical perspective and ethical issues pertinent to the Christian counselor, while critically evaluating contemporary secular theories and practices.
Careers With a Christian Counseling Certificate
This online Christian counseling certificate program is designed for students who want to help people but are unsure whether they want to earn their master’s and become a licensed counselor. Graduates of this certificate program can work in the church helping and caring for others as coaching support, peer support, a behavioral health technician or any entry-level position in the helping field.
* Please note that this list may contain programs and courses not presently offered, as availability may vary depending on class size, enrollment and other contributing factors. If you are interested in a program or course listed herein please first contact your University Counselor for the most current information regarding availability.
* Please refer to the Academic Catalog for more information. Programs or courses subject to change.