The elementary education certificate offered through Grand Canyon University's Canyon L.E.A.P. to Teach program is intended for those looking to become a certified teacher. This program is designed specifically for those who already hold a bachelor's degree, are not working as a teacher and have access to an elementary education classroom.
The pathway assists candidates as they work as a teacher of record in an elementary classroom and pursue a non-traditional route to teacher licensure with the support of their school district.
Educate Elementary Students by Earning Your Certificate
This post-baccalaureate elementary education certificate serves as an alternative route for entering the field of education to champion students mental, emotional and social development, as well as to provide students with an academic foundation and passion for learning.
Courses within the program equip candidates to:
- Meet the educational needs of students with mild to moderate disabilities and their families
- Identify the cognitive, linguistic, social and emotional patterns for students with disabilities/li>
- Teach foundational skills to develop proficient readers
- Prepare elementary students with reading literacy skills across a range of texts and
- Examine the foundations of Structured English Immersion (SEI) and other instructional programs for English language learners
- Incorporate principles of language acquisition and the role of culture in learning
- Methods of assessment and strategies for using assessment to direct teaching strategies
- Create environments that support individual and collaborative learning, positive social interaction, active engagement and self-motivation
- Build upon foundational knowledge of equipping students to establish and maintain positive collaborative relationships
What Is Canyon L.E.A.P. to Teach?
The Canyon L.E.A.P. to Teach pathway is an innovative, non-traditional approach to earning a teaching certificate. This structured L.E.A.P. program prepares teacher candidates to earn their elementary education certificate online or in-person through an immersive learning experience that includes daytime teaching, professional development, mentor support and graduate coursework.
The elementary education program’s requirements include:
- Experience with formal and informal evaluations
- Four online GCU teacher education courses
- Six in-person Saturday workshops
- Culminating hands-on capstone project
- Professional development and mentoring
This comprehensive approach ensures that candidates are well-supported during every step of the pathway and are able to sufficiently develop their pedagogical skills.
Elementary Education Certificate - Online & Evening Class Options
Programs following the Canyon L.E.A.P. to Teach path are designed to be accessible both for full-time students and for working professionals. Classes are offered fully online.
Take your first step towards becoming a certified teacher. Earn your elementary education certificate from Grand Canyon University.
* Please note that this list may contain programs and courses not presently offered, as availability may vary depending on class size, enrollment and other contributing factors. If you are interested in a program or course listed herein please first contact your University Counselor for the most current information regarding availability.
* Please refer to the Academic Catalog for more information. Programs or courses subject to change.