The Benefits of a Graduate Level Mathematics Certificate
Grand Canyon University’s Graduate Certificate of Completion in Mathematics prepares students with a passion for mathematics for career advancement in education at the postsecondary level. Graduate students will deepen their knowledge and build upon their skills to teach undergraduate math courses at a two-year or four-year institution in both ground and online modalities. Through continuing education, mathematics educators can elevate their career by transitioning into undergraduate learning environments. Math educators also play an important role in providing STEM education and prepping students for a future career in these critical areas.
This unique program offers a pathway toward obtaining advanced training in the fields of mathematics and education, while meeting the requirements for ongoing professional development. Graduates of this program will be able to fulfill the graduate course requirements necessary for opportunities in teaching at the postsecondary level. Teachers seeking the 18 credits needed to pursue a career in education with a mathematics specialty will benefit from earning this certificate.
Earn a Graduate Certificate in Mathematics Online or On-Campus at GCU
This evening cohort program is offered one night a week on GCU’s campus. Students will benefit from learning as part of traditional classroom where they can collaborate with peers and receive face-to-face individualized attention from instructors. Since classes only meet once a week, adult working professionals will be able to continue working full-time and maintain work-life-school balance. Evening cohort students also have access to a wide range of student support resources, as well as become a part of the unique GCU campus community.
Learn Theories and Practical Application
This graduate certificate in mathematics program mirrors GCU’s Master of Science in Mathematics with an Emphasis in Education. Curriculum focuses on theory and practical application, as well as mathematics content balanced with pedagogy and classroom techniques. Students will explore the following:
- Graduate Studies: Prepare for graduate learning experiences and learn how to utilize tools for success in mathematics while engaging in math concepts
- Graduate Algebra: Focus on algebraic structures, matrices, linear transformations and their numeric applications
- History of Mathematical Thought: Learn about the evolution of mathematics throughout history as it represents and provides an understanding of the world around us
- Discrete Math: Data Analysis: Survey evidence-based analysis and gain an understanding of statistical descriptors and theoretical framework development
- Mathematical Modeling: Examine mathematical modeling, applications and computational methods
- Applied Nonlinear Dynamics: Follow an overview of ordinary differential equations, geometric representation of ODE solutions, autonomous systems, flows on the line, linear systems and other concepts
The goal of the program is to position students at the intersection of advanced mathematical knowledge and effective teaching practices, so they can successfully lead classrooms and create positive student outcomes.
Advance Your Career with a Mathematics Graduate Certificate
Equipped with a mathematics graduate certificate, students can elevate their career by moving into a postsecondary role in education teaching math at the collegiate level. Graduates will have more in-depth knowledge of mathematical concepts and theories, which provides the foundation to teach at colleges and universities, trade, technical and vocational schools, as well as educational research and publishing companies.
* Please note that this list may contain programs and courses not presently offered, as availability may vary depending on class size, enrollment and other contributing factors. If you are interested in a program or course listed herein please first contact your University Counselor for the most current information regarding availability.
* Please refer to the Academic Catalog for more information. Programs or courses subject to change.