Prepare to Teach With a Graduate Secondary Education Certificate
This graduate certificate in secondary education at Grand Canyon University (GCU) is a specialized program designed to provide you with advanced knowledge and skills in teaching and curriculum development at the secondary education level. This program is intended for those looking to becoming a certified teacher of sixth through 12th grade who already hold a bachelor’s degree but do not currently hold a teacher’s license.
This post-baccalaureate secondary education certificate serves as an alternative route for obtaining a teaching license, incorporating observation requirements, mentorship, hands-on teaching experience and theoretical knowledge of pedagogy. As a graduate of this secondary education certificate, you will be taught to work as a teacher of record in a middle or high school classroom by pursuing a non-traditional path to teacher licensure with the support of your school district.
The L.E.A.P. Approach to Earning a Certificate of Secondary Education
The Canyon L.E.A.P. to Teach pathway is an innovative, non-traditional approach to earning a teaching certificate. This structured L.E.A.P. program prepares teacher candidates to earn your secondary education certificate through an immersive learning experience that includes daytime teaching, professional development, mentor support and graduate coursework.
The secondary education certificate program requirements include:
- Experience with formal and informal evaluations
- Four online GCU teacher education courses
- Culminating hands-on capstone project
- Professional development and mentoring
This comprehensive approach ensures that candidates are well-supported during every step of the pathway and are able to sufficiently develop their pedagogical skills.
Course Topics for Secondary Education Certificate Graduates
Teaching can be a rewarding and challenging career that requires a combination of knowledge, skills and experience. By following this certificate of secondary education pathway, you have the potential to make a significant impact on middle and secondary schools. Coursework in this certificate in secondary education program teaches skills and knowledge in the following areas:
- Planning, delivery and evaluation of standards-based instruction
- Typical and atypical development of middle and high schoolers
- Realistic discipline plans for managing student and classroom behavior
- Research-based reading methodologies to enhance learning strategies
- Creating culturally and socially diverse classrooms
- Strategies for English language learning through Structured English Immersion and other instructional programs
The graduate-level coursework within GCU’s secondary education certificate program is focused on strategies that fit within the modern classroom, preparing you to serve the types of students who will actually be in your classroom.
Graduate Certificate in Secondary Education Program FAQs
Whether you are just starting your career in education or are considering a career change, we’ve gathered a list of frequently asked questions about the graduate certificate in secondary education. Review our list of common questions and answers below to provide valuable insight into the field of secondary education.
Prepare yourself to make an impact as a certified teacher. Earn your Canyon L.E.A.P. to Teach certificate of secondary education online or in-person during evening classes from Grand Canyon University.
If seeking licensure or certification, applicants to the program are responsible for contacting their state department of education for licensure requirements and program approval. In addition, fingerprint and background clearance is required.
1 Teacher-Certification-Online.Org Your Online Teacher Certification Resource. (n.d.). Teaching Without Certification. Retrieved April 11, 2023.
* Please note that this list may contain programs and courses not presently offered, as availability may vary depending on class size, enrollment and other contributing factors. If you are interested in a program or course listed herein please first contact your University Counselor for the most current information regarding availability.
* Please refer to the Academic Catalog for more information. Programs or courses subject to change.