Explore Practices for Empowering Mild to Moderate Special Education Students
If you have an active, state-issued teaching license or certification and have a desire to increase your effectiveness as a special education teacher, consider earning a special education certificate online from Grand Canyon University. The Graduate Certificate of Completion: Special Education, Mild to Moderate can help prepare you to complete the requirements associated with the Special Education Mild/Moderate Disabilities endorsement from the Arizona Department of Education. Some states may require additional coursework, exams and/or clearances for licensure or certification.
During this program, you’ll have opportunities to equip yourself with evidence-based instructional methodologies for working with students with exceptionalities. You’ll explore methods of teaching mathematics and language arts, and for fostering positive and productive learning environments for students with a range of exceptionalities. Pursue your passion for empowering students.
Earn Your Mild to Moderate Special Education Certificate Online From GCU
GCU’s online mild to moderate special education certificate program is tailored to teach you specialized skills in educating students with exceptionalities. This program offers a comprehensive curriculum with a focus on best practices in student assessments and research-based instructional strategies. Whether you're a working professional or a busy individual, our online coursework can provide the convenience and flexibility to enhance your academic qualifications while meeting your current work commitments.1
Coursework Offered in This Special Education Certificate
GCU is committed to providing you with specific coursework that can have the potential to empower you as an educator and help you advocate for those with mild to moderate exceptionalities. You will be taught to support students and their families as they navigate special education services, and to provide individualized learning experiences that meet the students’ needs.
Throughout this special education certificate program, you will explore a diverse range of content areas, including:
- Professional practice standards, laws and regulations that apply to special education
- The use of diagnostic and assessment tools
- Creating safe, inclusive and culturally responsive learning environments to foster students' well-being and academic progress
- Typical and atypical language development, their associated disabilities and the use of accommodations
- Research-based instructional strategies in mathematics and language arts
Skills and Concepts You Will Be Taught In This Online Program
This special education certificate is designed to encourage you to develop as an education professional. Throughout the program, you will be taught:
- Global awareness
- A high standard of professional ethics and responsibility
- To promote the continuous development of each student, with consideration for personal backgrounds, values and experiences
Career Paths With a Mild to Moderate Special Education Certificate
This special education certificate online can prepare graduate-level teachers to support their students with mild to moderate exceptionalities.
This certificate can provide professionals who already hold an active, state-issued teaching license or certification with opportunities to work toward developing competencies in working with special education students. Teachers who focus on special education may be able to pursue positions such as:
- Preschool or kindergarten special education teacher
- Elementary special education teacher
- Middle or high school special education teacher
- Special education teaching assistant
Throughout GCU’s online special education certificate program, you will study specific skills and concepts that can help you empower, instruct and care for your students with high-incident disabilities. These are disabilities more commonly found in the population.2 Most high-incidence disabilities do not inhibit the students’ ability to participate in inclusive educational settings, though some students may require more personalized, self-contained assistance.2
You will be taught to support students with learning needs, including those with:
- Communication disorders (speech and language impairments)
- Specific learning disabilities
- Mild/moderate intellectual disabilities
- Emotional or behavioral disorders
- Cognitive impairment
- Autism spectrum disorder
Institutionally Accredited Education Certificate Programs
In all our academic offerings, GCU prioritizes excellence in education and exceptional instruction. As a Higher Learning Committee (HLC) accredited university, we’re dedicated to preparing learners to tackle current challenges while embracing future opportunities. If you seek a comprehensive curriculum and a dedication to quality education, we welcome you to join our online learning community.
Mild to Moderate Special Education Certificate Online Program FAQs
You may find working with students who have exceptionalities to be a fulfilling and rewarding endeavor. However, before choosing the best path for your career, you may wish to do some career-related research. The following frequently asked questions and answers can offer a starting point.
Pursue your passion for working to ensure that all students have access to the education they deserve. Fill out the form on this page to learn more about earning a special education certificate online at GCU.
If seeking licensure or certification, applicants to the program are responsible for contacting their state department of education for licensure requirements and program approval. In addition, fingerprint and background clearance is required.
1 Excluding observational and practice-based experiences, and student teaching.
2 Powers, Chloe (2023, July 21). Education And Disability: What Is A High Incidence Disability? Disability Help. Retrieved on Oct. 17, 2023.
3 Gluck, S. (2022, Jan. 16). Mild, moderate, severe intellectual disability differences. HealthyPlace. Retrieved Oct. 12, 2023.
4 U.S. Bureau of Labor Statistics. (2023, Sept. 6). How to become a special education teacher. Occupational Outlook Handbook. Retrieved Oct. 12, 2023.
If you have questions specific to GCU and our graduate certificate in special education online, Request Info below and you will be contacted shortly.
* Please note that this list may contain programs and courses not presently offered, as availability may vary depending on class size, enrollment and other contributing factors. If you are interested in a program or course listed herein please first contact your University Counselor for the most current information regarding availability.
* Please refer to the Academic Catalog for more information. Programs or courses subject to change.