Earn Your Master of Arts in Christian Ministry Degree Online
Current and future lay ministers and assistant pastors are invited to apply for admission to Grand Canyon Theological Seminary. The Master of Arts in Christian Ministry degree program is well-suited to individuals who wish to provide pastoral guidance and care to members of their church community.
This program provides a comprehensive survey of the Old and New Testament foundations, and the development of Christian doctrine. It examines pastoral care, biblical interpretation and ministerial ethics. You will develop your spiritual, intellectual and professional knowledge, and prepare to serve as a faithful gospel minister within your community. Students are inspired to nurture their passion for the gospel of Jesus Christ and Christ-like ministerial service.
Complete your online ministry degree from anywhere. Grand Canyon University’s flexible learning path empowers students to pursue the advanced study of God’s word while continuing to meet their current obligations. All online courses are taught by fully qualified instructors who are experts in their respective fields. The Master’s in Christian Ministry requires a total of 38 credits for completion. Most online classes are eight weeks in length.
Interactive Christian Ministry Degree Curriculum
Rigorous coursework and hands-on field ministry experiences come together in this comprehensive Christian ministry MA degree program. Some of the core program courses include the following:
- Leading and Organizing Ministries in the Church
- Communicating in a 21st Century Ministry Context
- Pastoral Care in a Ministry Context
- Old Testament Foundations
- New Testament Foundations
- Ministerial Ethics
Through coursework and thoughtful discussions, students will develop the profound theological knowledge and strength of character necessary to lead multigenerational congregations. As a modern university, GCU seeks to graduate students who understand 21st century challenges, and who can apply ethical principles and the rightful interpretation of Scripture to guide others in overcoming these challenges. Some of the core competencies of this online ministry degree program include:
- Effective communication within various ministerial contexts, including small groups, Bible study and discipleship programs within contemporary settings
- Nurturing spiritual formation with biblical wisdom through biblical wisdom through compassionate, pastoral care
- A keen understanding of the cardinal doctrines of the Christian faith, including revelation, God, humanity, Christ and salvation
- The biblical and theological foundations of Christian ethics, including the responsibilities of gospel ministry
The curriculum includes multiple supervised ministry field experiences embedded throughout the program. Students have the opportunity to demonstrate their grasp of the program’s concepts, theories and research by applying these principles to real-world contexts. There is an emphasis on practical training for ministry leaders as they work to edify the Christian community, and to lead with grace and compassion.
What Can You Do with a Master’s in Christian Ministry?
The MA in Christian Ministry degree opens the door to various supporting roles within a ministerial context. Graduates will possess a deep understanding of discipleship, evangelism and prayer, which empowers them to pursue a lifetime of service to others in the Christian community. Some possible roles that may be related to this degree include the following:
- Associate pastor
- Administrative pastor
- Bible study leader
- Lay elder
With a thorough grounding in the Christian doctrines and well-developed communication skills, graduates are prepared to lead and shepherd God’s people.
* Please note that this list may contain programs and courses not presently offered, as availability may vary depending on class size, enrollment and other contributing factors. If you are interested in a program or course listed herein please first contact your University Counselor for the most current information regarding availability.
* Please refer to the Academic Catalog for more information. Programs or courses subject to change.