Earn Your Master of Science in General Psychology Degree Online
Become a more impactful and effective teacher, practitioner or researcher by earning your MS in psychology. The Master of Science in Psychology with an Emphasis in General Psychology at Grand Canyon University is a non-thesis program that may sharpen your skills and enhance your career opportunities. There is an emphasis on contemporary issues and ethical considerations in the field of psychology.
Offered by the College of Humanities and Social Sciences, this MS in psychology program aligns with the standards established by the American Psychological Association (APA). Students are encouraged to develop their leadership qualities, sharpen critical thinking skills and enhance their communication abilities as they gain insights into human behavior and thought patterns. The master’s in general psychology program, available online, supports students as they learn to apply the Christian worldview and the principles of servant leadership to their professional lives.
Choose an Online Master’s in General Psychology that Addresses Contemporary Issues
With GCU’s flexible learning options, students can earn their advanced degree in a way that fits their lifestyle. The MS in psychology is offered through on-campus evening courses and online classes. It requires a total of 36 credits for completion. Most online classes are eight weeks in length.
GCU seeks to graduate students who are analytical thinkers and ethical leaders, capable of communicating complex info to a range of stakeholders. As you work through the curriculum, you will focus on timely and relevant topics in human development, health psychology, social and cultural psychology, psychopathology and cognition.
In courses such as Contemporary and Ethical Issues in Psychology, Human Development and Research Methods, you will gain the following core competencies:
- Ethical issues pertaining to animal research, forensic psychology, psychotherapy, research and writing
- The physical, social, cognitive, personality, spiritual and moral developments of a person throughout all stages of life
- Theoretical and applied aspects of experimental design and research methodology, including quantitative, qualitative and mixed designs
- The interaction of biological, psychological and social factors with health-promoting and illness-preventing behaviors
The online MS in general psychology does not require the completion of a thesis. Instead, students are required to complete the Professional Capstone. This allows students to explore and present their original research ideas. Through occupational research, students build a roadmap for their future career or continued academic pursuits.
Serve in the Behavioral and Mental Health Field
An understanding of how people think and why they behave the way they do can be valuable in any field or industry. Knowledge of general psychology can support meaningful interactions with colleagues, clients and family members, and it may also encourage personal growth. Graduates who wish to work in the behavioral and mental health field have many options available to pursue. They may apply for positions at the following types of organizations:
- Nonprofit organizations
- For-profit companies
- Governmental agencies
- Social service agencies
- Educational institutions
- Community outreach organizations
Family services worker, group home coordinator and health project coordinator are a few of the jobs that may be related to this degree. Other possibilities may include compliance manager, employee trainer and research assistant.
The Master of Science in Psychology with an Emphasis in General Psychology does not lead to professional licensure.
* Please note that this list may contain programs and courses not presently offered, as availability may vary depending on class size, enrollment and other contributing factors. If you are interested in a program or course listed herein please first contact your University Counselor for the most current information regarding availability.
* Please refer to the Academic Catalog for more information. Programs or courses subject to change.