What is Performance Psychology?
Performance psychology focuses on human psychology during professional performance, specifically psychomotor performance. The Doctor of Philosophy in General Psychology with an Emphasis in Performance Psychology from GCU is designed for learners who want to apply research about emotion, cognition and motivation to the study of peak performance. Graduates of the performance psychology PhD program look to use psychology to improve and enhance physical performance.
The College of Doctoral Studies designed this performance psychology graduate degree program around the following aspects of the field:
- Theoretical foundations of emotion, cognition and behavior in performance settings
- Constructs and theories of psychomotor skill and motor control to improve learning and performance
- Principles of behavior modification to enhance individual performance
- Psychological theories to promote effective leadership
- Applications of psychological theories and principles underlying performance
The Benefits of a Performance Psychology Graduate Program
Those looking to advance their careers in sports, medicine, business, sales and marketing will benefit from this general performance psychology doctoral degree. The online PhD in psychology programs at GCU integrate the research and hands-on methodology needed to complete a dissertation.
In addition, this performance psychology program includes two hands-on Doctoral Residencies. During this time, learners who complete their coursework online will have the opportunity to work with faculty and peers in an intimate setting.
This degree does not lead directly to licensure. Admission into this doctorate of philosophy performance program requires a graduate degree and related coursework.
Study the Psychology of Motivation and Human Performance
When performance psychology is applied outside of the realm of sports and physical performance, it is closely related to industrial and organizational psychology. Both practices intend to improve employee performance. The disciplines even use some similar strategies, such as goal setting, to enhance work output. However, performance psychology digs deeper into the principles of behavior modification to determine how to improve work and leadership. Additionally, it studies traits of high achieving leaders to learn how to motivate and change work habits from the top down.
The online PhD in performance psychology at GCU prepares learners to conduct empirical, research and learn theories related to mental and thought processes. In addition, graduates examine:
- Factors affecting individual behavior
- Mass communication’s impact on social awareness and control
- The construction, analysis and interpretation of psychological tests
- Measurement of learning outcomes
- How to improve learning and performance conditions
- The dimensions that impact information-processing, decision-making and regulating emotions
Performance Psychology Careers
A performance psychology graduate degree from GCU can lead learners into many different fields. Our graduates become those who are capable of consulting on or leading change in an organization. Graduates may also find work in fields such as:
- Higher Education
- Fitness and Nutrition
If you are eager to learn more about how to improve how people work, performance psychology may be the field for you. Find out if it is a great fit by learning more about the Doctor of Philosophy in General Psychology with an Emphasis in Performance Psychology degree program at GCU today.