Earn Your BA in Theatre for Secondary Education Drama Teaching
Share your passion for performance with the next generation as an educator. This Bachelor of Arts in Theatre for Secondary Education degree program will equip you with the skills you need to teach and lead students in a theatre program. It includes a diverse mix of core theatre coursework – such as playwriting and theatrical design – as well as classroom management and other secondary education coursework.
Offered by the College of Fine Arts and Production at GCU, this BA in theatre for secondary education program includes student teaching experience and leads to initial teacher licensure. In addition to classroom studies, students in this program are encouraged to take part in the Ethington Theatre Series in various capacities, including onstage and offstage disciplines, in order to experience the creative process from beginning to end: rehearsals, set up, live performances and more.
Study Curriculum and Techniques from Directing to Costume Design
This unique BA in Theatre for Secondary Education program will train you as both a theatre practitioner and a theatre educator. Along with building a solid foundation in the arts and teaching, it will provide students with the opportunity to hone important skills such as critical thinking, communication and ethical decision making. It was designed using National Association of Schools of Theatre (NAST) standards and all courses are directly aligned with Interstate New Teacher Assessment and Support Consortium (INTASC) principles.
Core topics covered in this theatre BA degree include:
- Acting, theatre participation and stage direction
- Theatre history: Greek to Restoration and 18th Century to present
- Early adolescent and adolescent psychology
- Fundamentals of theatrical design
- Classroom engagement and management
- Theatre methods and assessment in the secondary school
- Data-driven instructional methods for middle and secondary teachers
- Playwriting, stage lighting and more
Teach and Lead a High School Theatre Program
Upon completion of this Bachelor of Arts in Theatre for Secondary Education program, graduates will be prepared to take and pass their teacher’s licensing exam. This typically leads to roles such as a high school theatre teacher or a high school drama teacher, but the BA in theatre degree also equips students with a diverse skillset that can be beneficial across many positions within education, nonprofit organizations and beyond.
Additionally, this bachelor’s degree program allows graduates to earn secondary endorsements in other areas in order to teach different subjects and be more marketable in the education field.
General Education Requirements
General Education coursework prepares Grand Canyon University graduates to think critically, communicate clearly, live responsibly in a diverse world, and thoughtfully integrate their faith and ethical convictions into all dimensions of life. These competencies, essential to an effective and satisfying life, are outlined in the General Education Learner Outcomes. General Education courses embody the breadth of human understanding and creativity contained in the liberal arts and sciences tradition. Students take an array of foundational knowledge courses that promote expanded knowledge, insight, and the outcomes identified in the University’s General Education Competencies. The knowledge and skills students acquire through these courses serve as a foundation for successful careers and lifelong journeys of growing understanding and wisdom.
* Please note that this list may contain programs and courses not presently offered, as availability may vary depending on class size, enrollment and other contributing factors. If you are interested in a program or course listed herein please first contact your University Counselor for the most current information regarding availability.
* Please refer to the Academic Catalog for more information. Programs or courses subject to change.