Pursue Your Passion and Major in Dance
A Bachelor of Arts in Dance degree from GCU prepares you for a future career in the arts. Dance majors who graduate from this program may enter the professional realm of concert dance, commercial dance, musical theatre, or studio dance teaching. Graduates would also be prepared to attend graduate school in a diverse set of areas including dance therapy, choreography, and business.
Dancers at GCU engage in creative collaboration and varied movement practices to cultivate artistic skills and processes. The BA in Dance program supports dance artists in learning how to communicate effectively through movement and reach broad audiences.
Dance artists often work for themselves and must pursue a range of career opportunities. This could include working one on one with clients, teaching/performing inside an institution, or creating their own performance opportunities. To ensure GCU dance majors have experience in these professional roles, they have the opportunity to perform and participate in concert productions such as the Winter and Spring Dance Concerts, the GCU Elementary and Middle School Dance Tour, and Student Spotlight Dance Concerts. Through these programs, GCU faculty help dance majors cultivate the collaboration, innovation, critical thinking and cultural literacy needed for successful careers.
An audition is required for acceptance into the bachelor in dance degree program.
Study Advanced Dance Technique in the BA Dance Program
Dancers who are admitted to the Bachelor of Arts in Dance degree program are already skilled. The program is designed to enhance existing expertise in ballet, modern, jazz, tap and urban forms including hip-hop.
Dance courses are offered at five levels and dance majors also participate in master classes and guest artist intensives. At GCU, students grow as dancers, choreographers and artists.
The coursework in this dance degree program prepares graduates to:
- Perform various dance forms with technical proficiency and self-expression
- Choreograph for professional dance concerts
- Plan and direct productions
- Teach dance and related subjects
- Collaborate with a community
- Integrate dance, technology, and media
- Pursue related studies (e.g. dance medicine, dance therapy)
- Build dance-based businesses
Explore a Future in Dance
Graduates of the Bachelor of Arts in Dance have the training to pursue many kinds of creative careers. They may find work as:
- Private instructors
- Fitness instructors, wellness coaches and somatics practitioners
Dancers with the skill and drive to continue their training can benefit from a dance degree. Join other movement-based artists in the Bachelor of Arts in Dance degree program at GCU.
General Education Requirements
General Education coursework prepares Grand Canyon University graduates to think critically, communicate clearly, live responsibly in a diverse world, and thoughtfully integrate their faith and ethical convictions into all dimensions of life. These competencies, essential to an effective and satisfying life, are outlined in the General Education Learner Outcomes. General Education courses embody the breadth of human understanding and creativity contained in the liberal arts and sciences tradition. Students take an array of foundational knowledge courses that promote expanded knowledge, insight, and the outcomes identified in the University’s General Education Competencies. The knowledge and skills students acquire through these courses serve as a foundation for successful careers and lifelong journeys of growing understanding and wisdom.
* Please note that this list may contain programs and courses not presently offered, as availability may vary depending on class size, enrollment and other contributing factors. If you are interested in a program or course listed herein please first contact your University Counselor for the most current information regarding availability.
* Please refer to the Academic Catalog for more information. Programs or courses subject to change.