What Is an Adult Education Degree?
The Doctor of Education (EdD) in Teaching and Learning with an Emphasis in Adult Learning degree is designed for those who wish to not only teach, but to lead collegiate and adult learners. This doctorate in adult education program helps graduates prepare for and practice the research-based strategies that improve adult learning.
Adult education degree holders from GCU may become leaders at the college and university-level, striving to bring positive experiences to post-secondary and adult learners. Not only will adult education degree learners study industry trends, they will also implement new strategies based on research they've personally conducted.
The College of Doctoral Studies at GCU has identified goals within adult learning that graduates must meet:
- Evaluating adult learning theories
- Synthesizing adult learning theory with worldview
- Analyzing the nature of cognitive coaching
- Supporting the necessity of transformative learning
- Proposing applications of adult learning strategies
What Is a Qualitative Doctorate (EdD) in Adult Education?
Doctoral degrees allow students to engage in their own research and bring advancements to their field. This EdD program engages students in qualitative research into adult learning to generate new research and improve methods of adult learning.
Qualitative research is a form of exploratory research methods that focuses on finding meaning and motivation through observation and analysis. Throughout the qualitative EdD program, you will employ qualitative research methodology to conduct your dissertation.
Learn to Help Others Learn Better
Leadership and research in adult education are the main focus of this EdD in Adult Education. Graduates will complete original research projects with a focus on adult students. This research is conducted with the purpose of uncovering new knowledge and theories about adult learning. Graduates then apply these new ideas with adult learners in order to create positive educational outcomes, such as mentorship, coaching and collaboration.
Research topics can come from anywhere in the doctorate of adult learning degree program coursework. Graduates might be inspired to learn more as they:
- Explore practical foundations of education
- Examine current educational practices
- Reflect on child and adult teaching and learning theories
- Conceptualize educational philosophy
- Dive into existing academic research to study methodology
Careers With a Doctorate in Adult Education Degree
Graduates of the EdD in Teaching and Learning with an Emphasis in Adult Learning degree are ready to be educators who impact adult lives. They may find work at:
- Junior colleges
- Two or four-year colleges
- Professional schools
- Technical programs
- Trade schools
Those who have backgrounds in certain fields may also find work at business schools or in computer and management training.
If you desire to make a significant impact in education by teaching and coaching other adults, an adult education degree may be the right path for you. Find out by learning more about the Doctor of Education in Teaching and Learning with an Emphasis in Adult Learning degree program at GCU
* Please note that this list may contain programs and courses not presently offered, as availability may vary depending on class size, enrollment and other contributing factors. If you are interested in a program or course listed herein please first contact your University Counselor for the most current information regarding availability.
* Please refer to the Academic Catalog for more information. Programs or courses subject to change.