Support Well-Being With a Graduate Certificate in Mental Health With a Christian Perspective
The Graduate Certificate in Mental Health and Wellness with an Emphasis in Christian Ministry at Grand Canyon University can prepare those with a servant’s heart and passion for helping others to pursue a career in mental health ministry. In this 16-credit graduate certificate program, you will be guided to develop a foundation in biblical knowledge and theological wisdom within the context of mental health and wellness.
This experience introduces concepts of human nature from a Christian perspective with a focus on cognitive, behavioral, interpersonal, mental, social and spiritual motivations. You can become familiar with research and best practices in mental health and wellness as they relate to human resilience, recovery and functioning.
Mental Health and Wellness: Emphasis in Christian Ministry Courses and Topics
With an emphasis on Christian ministry, this online graduate certificate in mental health and wellness introduces you to the relationship between Christian theology and psychological theories. You can experience courses that allow you to gain competencies in these areas of focus from a Christian perspective:
- Analysis of the nature of God, mankind, sin and the relationship between God and man
- Assessment of the implications of models for integrating psychology theories and Christian theology
- Planning for self-care that’s rooted in spiritual formation, accountability and the Holy Spirit
- Development of a mental health and wellness model that can be reconciled with and implemented in a Christian ministry setting
As a Christ-centered university, GCU integrates faith into coursework, learning experiences and academic settings. Therefore, you will be taught from a biblically rooted curriculum based on GCU’s Christian worldview, which can enhance the study of psychology and its connection to theology in this program.
GCU’s interactive digital learning platform can serve as a supportive community where you can collaborate with peers and interact with faculty. Online learning allows you to study at times and locations that are convenient for you.
Study Mental Health Counseling Skills Using Christian Principles
This four-course graduate certificate in mental health and wellness with an emphasis in Christian ministry begins with the topic of mental health, biblical narrative and Christian theology. You will examine a theology of pain and suffering from a biblical perspective, along with mental health and social issues within a ministry setting.
Progressing through the Christian ministry courses, you will explore:
- The historical intersection of faith and science and how these areas apply to a contemporary setting
- The physical, emotional and spiritual health of the Christian helper
- How self-care is an important aspect of maintaining a balanced approach to ministry
- How to maintain vitality through healthy practices, while examining concepts of burnout, compassion fatigue and vicarious traumatization
The online certificate courses in mental health conclude with an examination of how to develop a practical ministry plan that addresses the needs of those seeking help to cope with life stressors, from marriage and family issues to grief and crises.
Career Paths for Graduates With a Certificate in Mental Health and Wellness: Christian Ministry Emphasis
No program of study can guarantee a specific career outcome, and some careers may require additional academic credentials or licensure. However, potential career opportunities for those who complete this certificate in mental health online can gain skills in various fields, including:
- Human services
- Community mental health
- Health and wellness
While this certificate does not lead to licensure, you may choose to apply your knowledge to a master’s program in Christian counseling, clinical mental health counseling, mental health and wellness, or psychology to help position yourself for possible career advancement within a Christian helping profession.
Take Online Certificate Courses in Mental Health From an Institutionally Accredited University
Before enrolling in a graduate certificate in mental health online, it’s important to ensure that the school you choose is institutionally accredited. GCU proudly maintains our institutional accreditation with the Higher Learning Commission (HLC), prioritizing our commitment to quality education.
Graduate Certificate in Mental Health and Wellness: Christian Ministry Emphasis FAQs
As you plan your career pathway and think about your future, you should take some time to do some career-related research so you can make informed decisions. Use the following frequently asked questions and answers to guide your research.
Examine mental health and wellness from a Christian perspective. Apply today for enrollment in GCU’s graduate certificate in mental health, available via online courses.
1 Bricker, V. (2021, July 28). What does the Bible say about struggling with mental health? Christianity.com. Retrieved Sept. 1, 2023.
2 U.S. Bureau of Labor Statistics. (2022, Oct. 24). How to become a substance abuse, behavioral disorder, or mental health counselor. Occupational Outlook Handbook. Retrieved Sept. 1, 2023.
3 Mental Health Grace Alliance. (n.d.). Frequently asked questions. Mental Health Grace Alliance. Retrieved Sept. 1, 2023.
4 Dr. Bisignano, A. (2015, April 9). 5 biblical principles for better mental health. Angela Bisignano, PhD. Retrieved Sept. 1, 2023.
* Please note that this list may contain programs and courses not presently offered, as availability may vary depending on class size, enrollment and other contributing factors. If you are interested in a program or course listed herein please first contact your University Counselor for the most current information regarding availability.
* Please refer to the Academic Catalog for more information. Programs or courses subject to change.