Pursue a Grad Certificate Emphasizing Christian Ministry Counseling at GCU
Grand Canyon University’s Graduate Certificate of Completion in Mental Health and Wellness with an Emphasis in Christian Ministry prepares those with a servant’s heart and passion for helping others for a career in mental health ministry. In this 16-credit program, students will gain a foundation in biblical knowledge and theological wisdom within the context of mental health and wellness. This program introduces concepts of human nature from a Christian perspective with a focus on cognitive, behavioral, interpersonal, mental, social and spiritual motivations. Students also become familiar with research and best practices in mental health and wellness as it relates to human resiliency, recovery and functioning. This certificate does not lead to licensure.
With an emphasis on Christian ministry, this graduate certificate program in mental health and wellness exposes students to the relationship between Christian theology and psychological theories. Students will gain competencies in these areas of focus:
- Analysis of the nature of God, mankind, sin and the relationship between God and man
- Assessment of the implications of models for integrating psychology theories and Christian theology
- Planning for self-care that’s rooted in spiritual formation, accountability and the Holy Spirit
- Development of a mental health and wellness model that can be reconciled with and implemented in a Christian ministry setting
As a Christian university with a biblically rooted mission, GCU integrates faith into coursework, learning experiences and academic settings. Therefore, students learn from a values-based curriculum based on GCU’s Christian worldview, which enhances the study of psychology and its connection to theology in this program. GCU’s innovative digital learning platform also serves as a supportive community where students collaborate with peers and interact with faculty. Distance learning allows students to learn at times and locations that are convenient for them.
Learn to Counsel Using Christian Principles
This four-course graduate certificate in mental health and wellness - Christian ministry program begins with the topic of mental health, biblical narrative and Christian theology; students will examine a theology of pain and suffering from a biblical perspective, along with mental health and social issues within a ministry setting. Progressing through the program, students will explore:
- The historical intersection of faith and science and how these areas apply to a contemporary setting
- The physical, emotional and spiritual health of the Christian helper
- How self-care is an important aspect of maintaining a balanced approach to ministry
- How to maintain vitality through healthy practices, while examining concepts of burnout, compassion fatigue and vicarious traumatization
The program concludes with preparing students to develop a practical ministry plan that addresses the needs of those seeking help to cope with life stressors, from marriage and family issues to grief and crises.
Take the Next Step as a Christian Counselor
Potential career opportunities include community health worker, community health outreach worker, community health program coordinator, community health promoter and community nutrition educator. Students may also choose to move directly into a master’s program in Christian counseling, clinical mental health counseling, mental health and wellness, and psychology within a chosen emphasis to strengthen their career within a Christian helping profession.
* Please refer to the Academic Catalog for more information. Program subject to change.