What Is a Java Bootcamp?
At GCU, the Undergraduate Certificate of Completion in Java Programming is a quick and immersive experience called a Java Bootcamp. Students will earn a certificate that proves they have the requisite knowledge to break into Java programming. Grand Canyon University offers the Certificate of Completion in Java Programming as an instructor-led virtual program. The online format allows students from across the United States to participate in a virtual setting with classmates and the instructor logged in remotely at the same time.
This fast-paced course of study includes studying and direction application of:
- Java object-oriented techniques
- Java-driven software development
- Application creation using software engineering methods
- Writing new code and refactoring existing code
The Benefits of Earning Your Java Programming Undergraduate Certificate
Java is an in-demand programming language that powers applications and the web. It runs on billions of devices and platforms. Java programming is a backbone of Android applications.
Grand Canyon University students who complete the Java programming undergraduate certificate are prepared for careers related to computer and app programming. They have the skills to write, revise and update website applications and coding algorithms. During their time at the GCU Java Bootcamp, students also learn to analyze and validate data.
Students will be able to build applications and develop an acquaintance with:
- Scripting languages
- Build tools
- Version control software
- Licensing constraints
In addition to this well-rounded technical skillset, GCU students also obtain skills in professional communications. They learn how to conduct themselves in their future technology career.
How Long Does it Take to Earn a Java Certificate as an Undergrad?
The Java Bootcamp program at GCU takes 16 weeks (or four months) to complete. During that time, students will complete practical, hands-on coursework in classes covering three important domains:
- Information systems
- Professionalism and Ethics
Develop High-Demand Skills in Java Programming
A Java undergraduate certificate program, like the one offered by the GCU College of Science, Engineering and Technology, is highly technical. Students are immediately immersed in coding and programming challenges. Though the timeframe of a Java Bootcamp is quick, the learning is in-depth and practical. Students in this program learn:
- Fundamental Java concepts, algorithms and syntax
- Problem solving techniques in the programming language
- Software development skills
- Machine architecture and data organization
- Interfaces, event and exception handling
- Java I/O and collection framework
- Concepts, tools and frameworks of Open source software development
Explore Professions With an Undergraduate Java Certificate
Software development is a growing field. The Bureau of Labor Statistics projects that the number of jobs requiring software developers will increase by 24 percent by 2026.* Meaning, a certificate in Java Programming is an investment in a long, successful career.
Graduates of the Java certificate program from GCU may seek career opportunities such as:
- Java developer
- Computer programmer
- Software developer
- Software engineer
- Information security analyst
- Computer system analyst
- Computer network architect
*Retrieved from: https://www.bls.gov/ooh/computer-and-information-technology/software-developers.htm, in March, 2018.
* Please note that this list may contain programs and courses not presently offered, as availability may vary depending on class size, enrollment and other contributing factors. If you are interested in a program or course listed herein please first contact your University Counselor for the most current information regarding availability.
* Please refer to the Academic Catalog for more information. Programs or courses subject to change.