What is a Master of Arts in Communication Education?
Grand Canyon University's Master of Arts (MA) in Communication with an Emphasis in Education degree program provides students who have a passion for communications with the opportunity to pursue a career in teaching. This degree prepares graduates to teach at the post-secondary level for either 2-year or 4-year institutions. In addition, graduates are capable of teaching both in-person and online.
The Master of Arts in communication education degree helps future educators understand and practice the wide range of communication skills needed in both personal and professional settings. In turn, the MA in communication graduate learns the leaderships and teaching skills necessary to teach these strategies to others. Critical thinkers with an interest in leadership and community building are great candidates for this communication master’s degree program at GCU.
Earn Your MA in Communication at GCU
The Master of Arts in Communication with an Emphasis in Education degree program at Grand Canyon University is structured around three domains: pedagogy, theory and practice. By building a communication degree around these three areas, GCU ensures that graduates will be well-prepared to fulfill leadership roles in this field.
Master of communication graduates focus on adult-learning theory and best practices for teaching adult learners. These methods include teaching in communication online programs.
Communication theory focuses on cultural use of communication. Theories about organizational and societal use of communication are compared. Master of Arts in communication education graduates investigate theories around corporate social responsibility, public policy and spheres of influence related to ethics and messaging.
Masters in communication education grads at GCU practice what they learn. They study communication in personal and professional environments. They conduct audience analysis and learn to measure communication campaigns.
In this MA in communication degree program, graduates also learn about:
- Relationships and communication in the workplace
- Social influencing
- Communications case studies and best practices
- Argumentation and persuasion strategies
- Adult learning
- Student comprehension
- Media consumption
- Strategic communication for diverse audiences
- Media literacy
What Types of Jobs are Available with a Masters in Communication Education
GCU graduates with an MA in Communication with an Emphasis in Education degree will be equipped to act as communications leaders in many fields. They may find work as:
- College professors
- Adjunct faculty
- PR specialists
- Communications managers
- SEO or content writers
Communications educators have many options when it comes to potential workplaces. These settings include:
- Public and private colleges and universities
- Technical/vocational schools and programs
- Government offices
- Private businesses and corporations
If teaching the next generation of communicators and influencers sounds like a dream job, get started on your path today. Join your fellow future communication educators at GCU and earn your Master of Arts (MA) in Communication with an Emphasis in Education degree.
* Please note that this list may contain programs and courses not presently offered, as availability may vary depending on class size, enrollment and other contributing factors. If you are interested in a program or course listed herein please first contact your University Counselor for the most current information regarding availability.
* Please refer to the Academic Catalog for more information. Programs or courses subject to change.