Earn Your Master of Science in Criminal Justice – Emphasis in Legal Studies Online
A healthy, prosperous community is one that keeps its residents safe and features a thoughtfully designed criminal justice system. The Master of Science in Criminal Justice with an Emphasis in Legal Studies degree at Grand Canyon University is ideal for professionals in law enforcement. It is also ideal for decision-makers in the fields of public policy and justice administration. Individuals who are preparing to enter law school may also benefit from this degree program. The evidence-based curriculum aligns with current community demands. It empowers working professionals to develop the practical skills that are needed in modern communities.
Offered by the College of Humanities and Social Sciences, the legal studies degree examines key concepts in crime analysis and strategic planning. Dynamic learning experiences guide students in applying theoretical knowledge to real-world situations. The degree covers contemporary legal issues pertaining to public policy, social research and justice administration, with an emphasis on the importance of ethical decision making.
This criminal justice MS in legal studies, offered online at GCU, provides working professionals with the opportunity to pursue their educational objectives while meeting their current job’s demands. All online courses are taught by either full-time faculty members or fully trained adjunct instructors. Evening courses on the GCU campus are also available.
What You’ll Learn from a Legal Studies Master of Science Degree Program
The coursework for the legal studies program evaluates best practices in legal research and takes a close look at 21st century legal topics. Students explore methodological evaluations of criminal justice policy and the development of legal programs. Some of the courses included with this degree include:
- Criminal Behavior Analysis
- Exploration of Law and Public Policy
- Exploration of Constitutional Criminal Law
- Legal Research
- Legal Communication
There is an emphasis on the integration of moral values and ethics into legal decision making. Students are encouraged to challenge themselves by engaging with current questions in legal ethics. Additionally, students examine the role of values, conflict management, personality and power dimensions in organizational behavior and leadership. Other core competencies include the following:
- The relationship between psychology and the criminal justice system
- The use of hardcopy and electronic resources to perform legal research into regulations, court orders, statutes and court decisions
- The constitutional system of criminal jurisprudence
- The intersections of law and socioeconomic issues as they pertain to the administration of justice
Serve Your Community in a Legal Career
A Master of Science in Criminal Justice Legal Studies may enable you to pursue a position in law enforcement or government that allows you to serve your community with integrity. Students who are currently working within the law enforcement field may pursue advanced opportunities after earning a master’s degree, such as chief of police, shift supervisor or police sergeant.
The legal studies MS degree at GCU guides students in developing critical reasoning, analytical and communication skills that transfer well to an array of career paths. Other careers that may be related to this master’s degree include:
- Legislative assistant
- Compliance officer
- Government relations officer
- Law librarian
Additional academic accomplishments or professional licensure or certification may be required for certain career paths.
* Please note that this list may contain programs and courses not presently offered, as availability may vary depending on class size, enrollment and other contributing factors. If you are interested in a program or course listed herein please first contact your University Counselor for the most current information regarding availability.
* Please refer to the Academic Catalog for more information. Programs or courses subject to change.