Become a Leader With an MS in Mental Health and Wellness With an Emphasis in Community Mental Health Administration
Churches, hospitals and community-based organizations need strong leaders and administrators to develop, implement and direct impactful initiatives that make a positive difference in the community. You can learn the skills you’ll need for this career path by earning your Master of Science in Mental Health and Wellness with an Emphasis in Community Mental Health Administration at Grand Canyon University (GCU). Learn how to communicate key information to a variety of stakeholders, inspire others by leading by example and navigate the everyday nuances of community-based mental health organizations.
Offered by the College of Humanities and Social Sciences, this master’s in mental health and wellness with an emphasis in community mental health administration degree is designed to integrate mental health and wellness within a leadership role. There is an emphasis on program planning and development, including budgetary issues, policies and procedures. You can learn to become effective and ethical advocates who can guide their organizations and communities toward a brighter future.
Course Topics in the MS in Mental Health and Wellness Program
During your studies, you will be taught to polish your communication skills, explore professional ethics standards and delve into the details of organizational governance, policies and financial management. Some of the course topics you will learn in this master of science in mental health and wellness degree program include the following:
- Promoting ethics and cultural diversity in mental health and wellness
- Managing finances and budgets in the public sector
- Finding, training and utilizing skilled workers
- Integrating mental health, wellness and healthcare
- Instructing public administrators on economics
This master’s in mental health and wellness with an emphasis in community mental health administration degree focuses on building a solid framework of knowledge pertaining to behavioral, mental, spiritual and cognitive health. This includes exploring the following areas:
- Examine mental health disorders, treatment modalities and the dimensions of wellness.
- Explore the integration of body, spirit and mind, and examine the common health challenges faced by individuals with behavioral or mental health disorders.
- Survey the history of professional ethics, including the evolution of modern ethical codes as they pertain to legal standards and issues. Discover how public organizations serve their stakeholders, carry out their mission, comply with regulatory powers and manage resources to succeed in community mental health administration.
- Analyze key competencies in human resources such as workforce diversity, talent management, employee development and motivation.
- Conclude your studies with the mental health administration and wellness capstone, which focuses on contemporary issues and careers in the mental health and wellness field.
Career Opportunities for Graduates in the MS in Mental Health and Wellness With Community Mental Health Administration Emphasis
Graduates with a master's in mental health and wellness with community mental health administration emphasis can be equipped with the knowledge and skills to pursue a career path that supports the health and wellness of their communities. When you earn this degree at GCU, you will be prepared to pursue an administrative leadership position within a community-based mental health organization, church, hospital or social services agency. Mental health and wellness, and the allied professions present opportunities to serve others in Christ’s name.
It is important to note that this mental health and wellness master’s program does not lead to licensure as a mental health professional. While this program may provide a solid foundation for students interested in pursuing licensure in the future, additional training and education may be required to meet state licensing requirements. If you are seeking licensure or certification, contact your state department of education or the American Counseling Association for specific licensure requirements and program approval.
Online Master’s in Mental Health and Wellness With Community Mental Health Administration Emphasis FAQs
We understand that choosing a degree program is a big decision. This section will provide you with the information you need to make an informed choice about your education. Below you will find answers to some of the most frequently asked questions regarding the MS in mental health and wellness program with an emphasis in community mental health administration from GCU.
Are you interested in positioning yourself for possible career advancement or expanding your professional knowledge? A master of science in mental health and wellness with emphasis in mental health administration can equip you with the skills to work in a diverse evidence-based mental health field by exploring the influence of biological, social, cultural and spiritual factors on mental well-being. Filling out the form on this page and a university counselor will be in touch shortly.
1 Healthcare Management Degree Guide (n.d.) 5 Healthcare Management Careers in the Mental Health Field. Retrieved on June 2, 2023.
2 Occupational Outlook Handbook. (2022, October) Medical and Health Services Manager. U.S. Bureau of Labor Statistics. Retrieved April 5, 2023.
* Please note that this list may contain programs and courses not presently offered, as availability may vary depending on class size, enrollment and other contributing factors. If you are interested in a program or course listed herein please first contact your University Counselor for the most current information regarding availability.
* Please refer to the Academic Catalog for more information. Programs or courses subject to change.