Pursue Teaching with a Master’s in Sociology Education
A Master of Science in Sociology with an Emphasis in Education degree from Grand Canyon University allows individuals who are interested in the social world and society to pursue work in education. The Master’s in Sociology education program prepares graduates to lead Sociology courses for undergraduates at two-year or four-year institutions. In addition, graduates of the GCU sociology degree programs will be qualified to teach courses online.
Sociology education degree grads receive a well-rounded education. At GCU, the master’s in sociology education program focuses on four areas:
- Societal arrangement and change
- Family and global perspectives
The theoretical and practical applications of both sociology and instruction are at the heart of this master’s in sociology education degree program.
The Benefits of an MS in Sociology Education
The world is becoming greatly interconnected. People are curious about the world around them. They are trying to make sense of how society is evolving. The Master’ of Science in Sociology with an Emphasis in Education ensures that more qualified instructors are teaching these concepts at the undergraduate level.
Sociology is often a requirement for certain degree paths. And as globalization is emphasized more by employers, future students will need to have a higher degree of understanding about societal structures. The need for sociology teachers will likely grow to meet these needs.
Earn Your Sociology Education Master’s Degree Online
Grand Canyon University offers an online master’s of sociology education degree for working professionals. The MS in sociology online classes engage students with the coursework needed to become a sociology teacher, while still allowing them to work and balance other priorities. The coursework for the online master’s in Sociology can be done at any time under the guidance of the same experienced faculty and adjunct staff who work on campus.
Content knowledge in the sociology domains and teaching skills make up the core focuses in the master of sociology education degree program at GCU. Postsecondary level sociology teachers will learn how to navigate preparing for and teaching content for sociology courses.
The topics of study in the MS of Sociology Education degree program include:
- Curriculum design
- Adult learning theory
- Distance learning techniques
- Differentiating structural functionalism, conflict theory and symbolic interactionism
- Application of sociology perspectives
- Stratification and social change
- Family impact on society
Advance Your Career in Sociology Education
Master’s of Sociology teaching degree graduates from GCU are prepared to teach sociology at the undergraduate level. They may find work at:
- Four-year universities or colleges
- Local or junior colleges
- Trade and technical schools
- Educational research/publishing companies
Your interest in sociology can bring the world to life for future college students. Join us in the MS in Sociology with an Emphasis in Education degree program at GCU.
* Please note that this list may contain programs and courses not presently offered, as availability may vary depending on class size, enrollment and other contributing factors. If you are interested in a program or course listed herein please first contact your University Counselor for the most current information regarding availability.
* Please refer to the Academic Catalog for more information. Programs or courses subject to change.