Earn Your MS in Computer Science
Grand Canyon University’s online Master of Science in Computer Science degree is designed for professionals in a variety of STEM and business disciplines, with a strong aptitude for mathematical reasoning, abstract thinking and computer programming. Graduate students will develop an understanding of the theoretical principles, concepts and methods of computer science as they actively engage in implementing them in applications throughout the curriculum.
This online master's degree in computer science master’s explores topics of abstraction, complexity, evolutionary change, as well as a set of general principles, such as sharing common resources, security and concurrency. Upon completing the program, students will have the skills training to design, implement and improve theoretical and functional systems based on quantitative and qualitative assessments of their functionality, usability and performance.
In our rapidly advancing, high-tech world, the computer science industry continues to grow and demand qualified, highly skilled innovators. Therefore, computer science professionals are likely to have a wide range of job prospects and expansive employment opportunities. The Bureau of Labor Statistics informs that employment growth for computer and information research scientists is 19% (much faster than average) with an employment change of 5,400 (2016-26).* The computer and information research field typically requires a master’s degree, according to the BLS Occupational Outlook Handbook.
Computer Science Master's Degree Courses at GCU
This MS in Computer Science program is broken down in these core domains:
- Mathematics: Apply calculus and linear algebra methods to solve computing problems, use probability and statistics for decision making and create ideas based on mathematical concepts.
- Algorithms and Complexity: Design algorithms, describe the architecture of parallel/distributed systems and calculate the computational complexity of algorithms that may solve a problem.
- Computing Systems: Demonstrate an understanding of multicore/multiprocessor architectures, evaluate computing systems design alternatives and build software systems. Research and Applications: Formulate research questions, design experiments, analyze results and communicate findings of computational problems.
- Research and Applications: Formulate research questions, design experiments, analyze results and communicate findings of computational problems.
- Artificial Intelligence: Automate data for repetitive learning/discovery, develop applications adaptable through progressive learning algorithms and analyze data to uncover trends.
- Professionalism, Ethics and Sustainability: Determine if a new data-driven business process uses customer data ethically, demonstrate ethical judgment and examine how a Christian worldview applies.
Curriculum focuses on course topics such as:
- Design and analysis of algorithms
- Advanced operating systems
- Programming languages
- Parallel programming
- Research methods in computational sciences
- Machine learning for computer science
- Artificial intelligence
The online Master of Science in Computer Science degree program culminates in a project or thesis. Students have the option of choosing between designing and implementing a software application, or conducting research and writing a research thesis, submitting interim milestones during each of the last four courses in the program
How Long Does It Take?
The time to completion for this 38-credit program is 84 weeks or 20 months. Students can complete this computer science program in under two years and earn their degree 100 percent. This allows students to study in a modality that provides flexibility and allows them to meet their academic and professional needs.
Candidates must have earned an undergraduate or graduate degree in computer science, software engineering, computer engineering or electrical engineering. If the student does not have a degree in one of these programs, they may be required to enroll in a bridge program first.
This is also a math-intensive degree that includes courses on advanced statistics, algorithm analysis and programming languages. Prior to enrolling, discuss these requirements with your enrollment counselor to make sure you have the skills needed to be successful.
In our rapidly advancing, high-tech world, the computer science industry continues to grow and demand qualified, highly skilled innovators. Therefore, computer science professionals are likely to have a wide range of job prospects and expansive employment opportunities.
The Bureau of Labor Statistics informs that employment growth for computer and information research scientists is 16% (much faster than average) with an employment change of 5,200 (2018-28)The computer and information research field typically requires a master’s degree, according to the BLS Occupational Outlook Handbook.
Graduates may move on to pursue senior and leadership roles within an organization such as:
- Algorithm designer
- Enterprise software tool developer
- Senior software architect
- Senior software developer
- Director of software development
This program also prepares graduates who wish to pursue a doctoral degree in computer science or related disciplines.
Potential workplace settings include:
- Game developers
- Social media companies
- Health care providers
- Large corporations
- Financial institutions
- Insurance companies
- Educational institutions
- Technology suppliers
- Consulting firms
- Research facilities
**Retrieved from: https://www.bls.gov/ooh/computer-and-information-technology/computer-and-information-research-scientists.htm
* Please note that this list may contain programs and courses not presently offered, as availability may vary depending on class size, enrollment and other contributing factors. If you are interested in a program or course listed herein please first contact your University Counselor for the most current information regarding availability.
* Please refer to the Academic Catalog for more information. Programs or courses subject to change.