Earn Your PhD in Performance Psychology from GCU
Grand Canyon University’s quantitative Doctor of Philosophy (PhD) in General Psychology with an Emphasis in Performance Psychology program offers a broad array of courses that increase the understanding of human actions in the past and present. In this program, students will employ quantitative methodology to design, collect and analyze information in alignment with conducting a scholarly dissertation. This degree is not intended for those seeking licensure in clinical practice. Those interested in licensure or certification should identify the applicable requirements by inquiring directly with their state or province.
Why Specialize in a Quantitative Performance Psychology PhD
GCU’s quantitative PhD in performance psychology focuses on analyzing events through numeric data. This program will help student develop expertise in the creation of a sampling plan and in the collection of data. This program differs from GCU’s qualitative program, which focuses on gaining insight into how and why people think, believe and behave a certain way.
What You’ll Study in GCU’s Performance Psychology Program
GCU’s quantitative PhD in General Psychology with an Emphasis in Performance Psychology program was created by the College of Doctoral Studies to help doctoral learners broaden their skillsets and set themselves apart from the competition. In this program, students will familiarize themselves with the major schools of thought in psychology and their philosophical origins, address the psychoanalytic and psychotherapeutic strategies used to assist individuals with managing personal and inter-personal issues, examine the historical and theoretical background of the behavioristic movement, apply theories of emotion, cognition and motivation to performance, explore the basic components of quantitative research design and more.
To graduate from this program, Students must participate in two or three hands-on doctoral residencies, complete a minimum of 60 credits and pass courses including:
- Foundations of performance psychology
- History and systems of psychology
- Humanistic, transpersonal and existential psychology
- Performance enhancement
- Psychoanalysis and psychodynamic theory
- Psychomotor performance
Career Outlook With a Performance Psychology PhD?
Graduates of GCU’s PhD in General Psychology with an Emphasis in Performance Psychology program will be able to apply theory and practice to conduct original research or work in applied settings such as sport, military or medical industries to enhance performance of individuals and groups. Graduates may go on to become:
- Fitness coaches
- Teachers in higher-education institutions
* Please note that this list may contain programs and courses not presently offered, as availability may vary depending on class size, enrollment and other contributing factors. If you are interested in a program or course listed herein please first contact your University Counselor for the most current information regarding availability.
* Please refer to the Academic Catalog for more information. Programs or courses subject to change.