What Is Performance Psychology?
Performance psychology focuses on human psychology during professional performance, often psychomotor performance. Grand Canyon University’s qualitative Doctor of Philosophy (PhD) in General Psychology with an Emphasis in Performance Psychology is designed for learners who want to apply research about emotion, cognition and motivation to the study of peak performance. Graduates of the performance psychology PhD program look to use psychology to improve and enhance all kinds of performance.
The College of Doctoral Studies designed this performance psychology graduate degree program around the following aspects of the field:
- Theoretical foundations of emotion, cognition and behavior in performance settings
- Constructs and theories of psychomotor skill and motor control to improve learning and performance
- Principles of behavior modification to enhance individual performance
- Psychological theories to promote effective leadership
- Applications of psychological theories and principles underlying performance
What Is a Qualitative Performance Psychology PhD?
Students pursuing their qualitative PhD in performance psychology will focus on expanding their skillset, developing a research study and gaining insight into how and why people think, believe and behave a certain way. This differs from GCU’s quantitative PhD in performance psychology, which focuses on developing expertise in the creation of a sampling plan and in the collection of data. This differs from GCU’s quantitative PhD in performance psychology, which focuses on developing expertise in the creation of a sampling plan and in the collection of data
The Benefits of a PhD in Performance Psychology Program
Those looking to advance their careers in sports, medicine, business, sales and marketing will benefit from this general performance psychology doctoral degree. The online PhD in psychology programs at GCU integrate the research and hands-on methodology needed to complete a dissertation.
In addition, this qualitative performance psychology PhD program includes two or three hands-on doctoral residencies
Study the Psychology of Motivation and Human Performance
When performance psychology is applied outside of the realm of sports and physical performance, it is closely related to industrial and organizational psychology. Both practices intend to improve employee performance. The disciplines even use some similar strategies, such as goal setting, to enhance work output. However, performance psychology digs deeper into the principles of behavior modification to determine how to improve work and leadership. Additionally, it studies traits of high achieving leaders to learn how to motivate and change work habits from the top down.
GCU’s online qualitative performance psychology PhD prepares learners to conduct empirical, research and learn theories related to mental and thought processes. In addition, graduates examine:
- Factors affecting individual behavior
- Mass communication’s impact on social awareness and control
- The construction, analysis and interpretation of psychological tests
- Measurement of learning outcomes
- How to improve learning and performance conditions
- The dimensions that impact information processing, decision making and regulating emotions
Performance Psychology Careers
GCU’s online qualitative PhD performance psychology can lead learners into many different fields. Our graduates become those who are capable of consulting on or leading change in an organization. Graduates may find work in fields such as:
- Higher Education
- Fitness and Nutrition
* Please note that this list may contain programs and courses not presently offered, as availability may vary depending on class size, enrollment and other contributing factors. If you are interested in a program or course listed herein please first contact your University Counselor for the most current information regarding availability.
* Please refer to the Academic Catalog for more information. Programs or courses subject to change.