As a future educator, you understand the importance of a quality education and the role it plays in students' lives. Choosing one of Grand Canyon University's (GCU) education degrees affords you the firm foundation needed to shape tomorrow's future. Choose an online Master of Education, pursue a bachelor's degree in education on our main campus or enhance your knowledge in a specific area with individual courses.
Reaffirming our heritage as a leading school for teaching, we take advantage of all opportunities to engage, instruct and inspire students of all ages. Whether you are studying on our main campus, earning one of our degrees online or taking evening classes, our faculty incorporates modern pedagogy, including student-driven learning concepts and technology, into everyday practices. Integrating philosophy with real-world knowledge, our education degree programs implement strategies that help you think more critically and prepare you for an enriching career in education.
Featured Education Degrees
- Bachelor of Science in Early Childhood Education Initial Program - Leads to Initial Teacher Licensure
- Bachelor of Science in Elementary Education and Special Education Initial Program - Leads to Initial Teacher Licensure
- Graduate Certificate of Completion in Teaching English to Speakers of Other Languages (TESOL)
- Master of Arts in Reading with an Emphasis in Elementary Education, Advanced Program for Continuing Professional Education
- Master of Education in Early Childhood Education Initial Program - Does Not Lead to Initial Teacher Licensure
- Master of Education in Secondary Education Initial Program - Does Not Lead to Initial Teacher Licensure
- View All Education Degrees
- View All Masters in Education Degrees
Online Education Degree Programs
GCU offers online education degree programs to help you begin a teaching career or advance your career in the field of education. As a student in our online education courses, you will enjoy challenging curriculum, resources, networking and support from expert faculty who care about your success. Our masters in education online can help you prepare you for initial teacher licensure or advance your knowledge in a specific area.
Undergraduate Education Degrees
Earning an undergraduate education degree is your first step on your journey to a rewarding career in the field of education. If you feel teaching is your calling, our education degrees can help you gain a foundation in education theories and practices, while understanding the importance of learning, leading and serving. You can gain hands-on experience during quality practicum or field experiences, and during your student teaching.
Campus and Online Degree Programs
With modern facilities, small class sizes and instructors who care, GCU's main campus is the perfect place to pursue a degree in education. Thinking about pursuing an online teaching degree? Our convenient online education degrees limit course enrollment to allow you time to connect with faculty. Teaching degrees are also offered in evening classes for working professionals needing flexibility with face-to-face interaction.
Secondary Education Programs
The College of Education, in conjunction with several of our other distinct colleges, is pleased to offer secondary education content degrees that help students prepare to teach grades 7-12. These programs help students to become subject matter experts in their areas while also allowing them to gain a solid foundation in education best practices.
Bachelor of Arts Programs
- Bachelor of Arts in Dance Education
- Bachelor of Arts in Music Education - Choral: Piano
- Bachelor of Arts in Music Education - Choral: Voice
- Bachelor of Arts in Music Education - Instrumental: Brass, Woodwind, Percussion or Strings
- Bachelor of Arts in Music Education - Instrumental: Piano
- Bachelor of Arts in Theatre Education
Bachelor of Science Programs
- Bachelor of Science in Biology for Secondary Education
- Bachelor of Science in Business for Secondary Education
- Bachelor of Science in Chemistry for Secondary Education
- Bachelor of Arts in English for Secondary Education
- Bachelor of Arts in History for Secondary Education
- Bachelor of Science in Mathematics for Secondary Education
Education programs in the College of Education are approved by the Arizona Department of Education.
Why do future educators choose GCU?
- We offer initial teacher preparation options for bachelor's and master's degrees in education degrees.
- Field experience, exam preparation and student teaching are part of your learning journey.
- Our curriculum aligns with national standards.
Alternative Teaching Program
The Alternative Teaching Program is an alternative pathway to teacher licensure that is designed for students who have secured a contract with a district and who are currently enrolled and actively participating in one of the following master's degree programs:
- Master of Education in Early Childhood Education
- Master of Education in Elementary Education
- Master of Education in Secondary Education
- Master of Education in Special Education
Under the Alternative Teaching Program, students who meet specific eligibility requirements work under contract in an appropriate classroom while completing their coursework. For more information, contact a university counselor.
To be eligible, you must have:
- An official transcript showing a bachelor's degree from an accredited institution.
- A current AZ IVP Fingerprint Clearance Card.
- A full-time contracted teaching position in an area that meets the requirements for the Alternative Teaching Program and the requirements of your program of study.
- Be currently enrolled and actively participating in an eligible master's program.
- A completed Alternative Teaching Packet.
High School Dual Enrollment Programs
It is never too soon for high school seniors to earn college credits at GCU. Students can get a head start on learning with dual enrollment opportunities.
GCU caters learning to both degree and non-degree seeking students. Explore our individual course offerings.
Minors for Education Majors
Continuing Education for Teachers
GCU is an educator's preferred choice for continuing education credits. Whatever your needs - recertification, licensure, endorsements - courses are available online or on campus.