Earn a Bachelor’s in Music-Piano Performance Degree
The piano is a graceful and beautiful instrument, capable of producing music with a complex array of emotions. With intensive private instruction and multiple performance opportunities, aspiring pianists can prepare for a future career in music by enrolling in Grand Canyon University’s Bachelor of Arts in Music with an Emphasis in Piano Performance degree program. Advanced coursework provides foundational knowledge in music theory and history, and applied practice prepares students to excel in the spotlight and in piano ensembles.
The piano performance degree is offered by the College of Fine Arts and Production. Students benefit from a well-rounded liberal arts education that emphasizes music and performance. Multiple opportunities are available to give solo recitals and play as part of accomplished ensembles. Perfect your skills as a pianist and develop familiarity with the stage in preparation for pursuing a meaningful career that blends passion with purpose.
Students who wish to pursue the piano performance degree are required to undergo an audition and to complete a music theory assessment prior to acceptance.
Learn Advanced Piano Techniques and Performing
This Bachelor of Arts in Piano Performance program emphasizes the practical application of skills, blended with purposeful classroom instruction. Graduates emerge with a solid framework of music knowledge that ranges from history to theory to composition. The sequential curriculum empowers students by building foundational knowledge and skills before moving on to advanced concepts and public recitals. Graduates are confident performers who are ready to pursue a meaningful career in the music industry.
In courses such as Piano Literature I, Piano Pedagogy and Conducting, students will develop a deep understanding of the following topic areas:
- The fundamentals and techniques of conducting, including score reading, transpositions, left-hand technique and non-verbal communication
- The study of beginner fundamentals of piano teaching, including survey, analysis, classification, and evaluation of beginning piano methods and principles of studio management and planning.
- The standard piano repertoire of the baroque and classical periods using reading and listening assignments
- The structure of music, including harmony, melody, form and rhythm through the use of computer-assisted ear training
As students’ skills grow through intensive private instruction, they are expected to give formal solo recitals during their junior and senior years. Students tackle performance issues through private coaching of the repertoire and study of collaborative skills such as ensemble balance. In addition, the Canyon Chorale and the Canyon Choral Society provide opportunities to perform at churches, schools and other venues throughout the Phoenix and Tucson areas.
Career Opportunities for a Piano Performance Major
Enrich the lives of those around you through public piano performances. As an aspiring solo musician or composer, you might pursue opportunities at performance centers or entertainment agencies. Other career choices that may be related to this degree may include the following:
- Collaborative pianist
- Private music instructor
- Music therapist
- Score coordinator
- Music curator
For the musicians who want to share their love of piano in a professional setting, GCU’s Bachelor of Arts in Music with an Emphasis in Piano Performance can help you get there.
General Education Requirements
General Education coursework prepares Grand Canyon University graduates to think critically, communicate clearly, live responsibly in a diverse world, and thoughtfully integrate their faith and ethical convictions into all dimensions of life. These competencies, essential to an effective and satisfying life, are outlined in the General Education Learner Outcomes. General Education courses embody the breadth of human understanding and creativity contained in the liberal arts and sciences tradition. Students take an array of foundational knowledge courses that promote expanded knowledge, insight, and the outcomes identified in the University’s General Education Competencies. The knowledge and skills students acquire through these courses serve as a foundation for successful careers and lifelong journeys of growing understanding and wisdom.
* Please note that this list may contain programs and courses not presently offered, as availability may vary depending on class size, enrollment and other contributing factors. If you are interested in a program or course listed herein please first contact your University Counselor for the most current information regarding availability.
* Please refer to the Academic Catalog for more information. Programs or courses subject to change.