Earn Your BS in Computer Programming Degree – Campus and Online
The GCU Bachelor of Science in Computer Programming helps students study business and tech together. In addition to learning Java, C# and SQL and software development, students study entrepreneurship, learn how to think critically and develop business fluency. All of these skills are in great demand as the world continues to be increasingly reliant on technology.
This GCU computer programming degree is available both on campus, during evening classes and online. This ensures that the advanced computer programming skills taught are accessible to anyone in any situation. Full-time students to full-time employees will gains technical writing, advanced programming and information security skills.
And emphasis on software and database application development prepare students to adapt to the constantly changing trends in technology.
Some of the many benefits of attending the GCU BS in Computer Programming degree online or in-person include:
- Develop coding skills early in the program, which may allow for entry-level work while attending classes
- General education coursework within the computer programming context
- Creation of a portfolio and focused research proposal that can be used during the job search
Take Advanced Science and Technology Courses
Students who earn the bachelor’s in computer programming degree are able to work with mobile network technologies and software as a service. They attain proficiency in several programming languages.
The science and technology classes that make up the computer programming degree coursework ensure graduates have a well-rounded understanding of topics such as:
- IT case planning for global business
- Enterprise applications programming
- Data structures
In addition to the challenging technical curriculum, the BS in Computer Programming degree focuses on developing skills graduates take with them in any workplace environment. These include:
- Strong work ethic
Curriculum & Skills
Students in the computer programming degree at GCU take coursework from four domains. These domains ensure that graduates of the program are well-rounded in both business and programming skills.
The BS in Computer Programming degree focuses on:
- Programming - Students learn to Develop solutions to computational problems, use enterprise programming tools, develop client-server and cloud-based applications and learn to minimize systems risks, threats and vulnerabilities.
- Information systems - Graduates are able to demonstrate technological literacy skills and foundational database management and programming skills to build information systems.
- Leadership and Management - CS students learn leadership skills and are able to communicate a vision of leadership and execute strategy in IT-related projects and technology infrastructures.
- Professionalism and Ethics - Students understand the social and professional context of information technology and research all aspects of computing, including social and legal. They learn to use teamwork in integrated IT and can communicate professional content in both written and oral formats.
Careers & Salary
Graduates who earn a Bachelor of Science in Computer Programming are prepared for many technical and computer-related career options. They may find work with digital, network and enterprise companies, or with non-technical companies who need computing experts in house. Computer programming degrees also have great earning potential. According to the Bureau of Labor Statistics, the average computer programmer earns $82,240 per year.*
The roles BS Computer Programming students may find, include:
- Computer programmer
- Computer systems analyst
- Computer and information system manager
- Geospatial information technologist
- Software application developer
- Systems programmer
- Web application developer
- Mobile game developer
- Mobile business applications developer
If computing, IT and programming are where you see your future, you’re not alone. The need for computer programmers is high. Get started on your career path with the Bachelor of Science in Computer Programming at GCU.
General Education Requirements
General Education coursework prepares Grand Canyon University graduates to think critically, communicate clearly, live responsibly in a diverse world, and thoughtfully integrate their faith and ethical convictions into all dimensions of life. These competencies, essential to an effective and satisfying life, are outlined in the General Education Learner Outcomes. General Education courses embody the breadth of human understanding and creativity contained in the liberal arts and sciences tradition. Students take an array of foundational knowledge courses that promote expanded knowledge, insight, and the outcomes identified in the University's General Education Competencies. The knowledge and skills students acquire through these courses serve as a foundation for successful careers and lifelong journeys of growing understanding and wisdom.
* Please refer to the Academic Catalog for more information. Program subject to change.