Earn Your Graduate Certificate in English Online
Grand Canyon University’s Graduate Certificate of Completion in English offers the opportunity for current teachers to expand their career path and teach undergraduate courses at community colleges and two-year or four-year institutions of higher learning. The curriculum provides rigorous instruction of the English language that focuses on four domain areas: pedagogy, teaching writing and literature, practice of professional writing and theories of writing a rhetoric.
This English language certificate program provides advanced training in the English discipline and field of education. It’s ideal for teachers seeking the 18 credits needed to teach at the collegiate and postsecondary level. Graduates of the program become qualified educational leaders prepared to teach an elevated study of English in both in-person and online postsecondary settings.
This online English graduate certificate program offers working professionals the convenience and flexibility to learn according to their schedule, while continuing to work full-time. By earning this degree online, students can maintain school-work-life balance, leading their own studies in a structure that allows them to excel according to their needs. Also, students learn through GCU’s innovative digital learning platform where they can interact with instructors, collaborate with peers and access a wide range of resources. The option of attending on campus remains open if preferred.
Gain In-Depth Knowledge of the English Language
Coursework is devised to produce master’s-level educators who are highly skilled in these areas elaborated upon below: writing theory, social and technological contexts of writing, grant writing, best practices for teaching literature and multimedia writing/social media. Equipped with this English language certificate, graduates will be able to distinguish themselves as valuable assets in the higher education workforce within an English discipline.
Mirroring GCU’s Master of Arts in English with an Emphasis in Education, this graduate certificate program teaches the following:
- Writing Theory: This area provides students with an understanding of key modern ways to think about writing. Gain historical, theoretical and practical knowledge of rhetoric and writing, as well as study classical and modern theories of rhetoric in relation to contemporary theories of writing. Other emphases include praxis and rhetorical analysis.
- Social and Technological Dimensions of Writing Practice: Explore pertinent writing and technology theories that have shaped the discipline as a social and technological entity. This area addresses the relationship between theory and practice, analysis of socio-technological contexts, as well as artifacts produced like Internet memes and viral videos.
- Grant Writing: Survey all aspects of grant writing, from the process and its purpose to practicalities. Areas of study include learning about funders and concerns, proposals and research techniques. Students will complete the course by writing a grant proposal.
- Teaching Literature Practices: This area connects students to theoretical approaches and helps students master the techniques for effectively teaching literary texts.
- Social Media: The multimedia writing course centers around creating a social media campaign informed by rhetoric theories and technology. Students will develop written elements for tweets, status updates, video/audio content, infographics, webpages and various graphics.
What Can You Do with a Graduate-Level English Certificate?
Potential career opportunities include becoming an English and literature teacher at the undergraduate level. Other roles include language and literature instructor, professional writer, curriculum specialist, researcher and educational materials creator. Potential workplace settings include colleges and universities, as well as trade/technical schools, tech companies, textbook publishers and EdTech application businesses.
* Please refer to the Academic Catalog for more information. Program subject to change.