An MEd in Special Education Degree Designed for Teacher Candidates Seeking Licensure
The Master of Education in Special Education – Moderate to Severe is designed for individuals with a bachelor's degree who are interested in the education of K-12 children with moderate to severe special needs. This program prepares candidates seeking initial teaching licensure in the special education area of moderate to severe. You will study topics ranging from ethical and legal practices to diagnosis and assessment in special education. In addition to taking 47 credits, you must complete a full-time, 15-week student teaching component with a certified special educator.
Pursue an On-Campus or Online Master’s Degree in Special Education
This initial special education licensure program is offered in person and online. The Master of Education in Special Education – Moderate to Severe (Licensure) program is uniquely tailored to equip you for success in serving students with moderate to severe special needs. The program includes rigorous curriculum, relevant courses and highly trained faculty to support your graduate journey.
Grand Canyon University cares about promoting the well-being of students at a large scale, including academic, spiritual and vocational growth. For this reason, academics are supported by our Christian worldview and strong academic heritage. GCU also sees the benefit of achieving a balanced lifestyle. The on-campus and online master’s degree in special education licensure program creates room for both academic excellence and personal flexibility to suit your individualized needs.
Learn Specialized Techniques for Moderate to Severe Special Education Classrooms
As a teacher candidate, you will study topics including:
- Characteristics of intellectual disabilities and other physical health impairments
- Ethical and legal practices
- Developmentally appropriate teaching skills
- Instructional planning
- Collaboration strategies
- Diagnosis and assessment in special education
- Communication and behavior strategies
- Assistive technologies
- Classroom management methods
Career Paths for Graduates With a Licensure MEd in Special Education Degree
Graduates seeking licensure by completing the Master of Education in Special Education – Moderate to Severe program are equipped to work with those with moderate to severe special needs and create individualized education plans to meet individual student needs. As a graduate, you may go on to pursue a career as a licensed special education teacher in various grade levels, including:
- Elementary school
- Middle school
- Secondary school
MEd in Special Education: Moderate to Severe (Licensure) Program FAQs
1 Retrieved from Arizona Department of Education, Requirements for the Standard Professional Moderate/Severe Disabilities Certificate – Grade K-12, in August 2022
* Please note that this list may contain programs and courses not presently offered, as availability may vary depending on class size, enrollment and other contributing factors. If you are interested in a program or course listed herein please first contact your University Counselor for the most current information regarding availability.
* Please refer to the Academic Catalog for more information. Programs or courses subject to change.