What Is an MPA in Government and Policy Degree?
Prepare for a career in service to others by earning your Master of Public Administration with an Emphasis in Government and Policy degree. It’s offered by the College of Humanities and Social Sciences at GCU. Explore ways of recognizing and addressing modern issues pertaining to policy and governance, leadership and human capital development. Cultivate your leadership style, ethical decision-making and problem-solving capabilities as you examine core issues in public sector organizations.
Candidates develop crucial competencies in the inner workings of local, state and federal government agencies. They consider ways of driving reform and forward progress to better serve the diverse needs of modern society. This government and policy degree focuses on law and administrative processes, public governance and strategic solutions to graduate fully informed and capable future leaders.
Earn Your Master of Public Administration in Government and Policy Degree Online
To enable working professionals to pursue higher education, GCU offers this master’s degree through our dynamic online learning platform. Learn from full-time faculty members and fully trained adjunct instructors. Benefit from engaging and intellectually stimulating discussions with your peers, who will contribute a diverse range of perspectives and worldviews. This program requires a total of 38 credits for completion. Most of the online courses are eight weeks long.
During the MPA program, you will deepen your understanding of constitutional law and public administration. You will explore how public and governmental entities execute their missions, manage resources and provide services to the public. You will also explore the role of regulatory powers. There is an emphasis on the importance of servant leadership. As a Christian university, GCU promotes a keen focus on the creation of interdependency through ethical servant leadership.
Prepare for a Career in Government
The Master of Public Administration in Government and Policy degree includes coursework that provides an in-depth look at a broad range of topics. Some of the courses you can take may include:
- Economics for Public Administrators
- Influence, Power and Politics in Public Administration
- Acquiring, Developing and Leveraging Human Capital
- Public and Nonprofit Administration
- Public Budgeting and Financial Management
During your coursework, you will explore key concepts in leadership, including best practices in human capital development. Delve into the details of far-reaching policy issues, including education, health care and social services. Develop critical thinking skills as you consider how policy decisions affect various populations. Other knowledge areas you will examine include:
- Science of organizational behavior
- Best practices in governmental transparency, participation and accountability
- Ethical use of power and effective influencing of stakeholders
- Allocation of goods and services
Prepare to serve the public by pursuing a career in local, state or federal government. Graduates with a government and policy degree are well-equipped to recognize and solve problems that affect the government programs that the public relies on. Some of the jobs that may be related to an MPA in Government and Policy include the following:
- City or county manager
- Government administrator
- Policy analyst
- Charity or foundation manager or director
- Public administration consultant
Other possible career paths may include economic development director, public affairs director and nonprofit executive. The government and policy master of public administration degree may prepare you to pursue a career in a variety of settings, including nonprofit agencies, government agencies and non-governmental consulting and lobbying firms.
* Please note that this list may contain programs and courses not presently offered, as availability may vary depending on class size, enrollment and other contributing factors. If you are interested in a program or course listed herein please first contact your University Counselor for the most current information regarding availability.
* Please refer to the Academic Catalog for more information. Programs or courses subject to change.