Serve Others With a Master’s in Public Administration With a Government and Policy Emphasis
Prepare for a career in service to others by earning your Master of Public Administration (MPA) degree with an Emphasis in Government and Policy, offered by the College of Humanities and Social Sciences at GCU. Explore ways of recognizing and addressing modern issues pertaining to policy and governance, leadership and human capital development. Cultivate your leadership style, ethical decision-making and problem-solving capabilities as you examine core issues in public sector organizations.
In this program, you will study crucial competencies in the inner workings of local, state and federal government agencies. In these courses, you will be taught ways for driving reform and forward progress to better serve the diverse needs of modern society. This MPA degree with a government and policy emphasis focuses on law and administrative processes, public governance and strategic solutions.
Course Topics in the MPA Degree With an Emphasis in Government and Policy
The Master of Public Administration with an emphasis in Government and Policy includes coursework that teaches a broad range of topics, including:
- Economics for public administrators
- Public administration influence and the role politics plays
- Acquiring, developing and leveraging human capital
- Public and nonprofit administration
- Public financial management and budgeting
During your coursework for the master’s degree in public administration with a government and policy emphasis, you will explore key concepts in leadership, including best practices in human capital development. Delve into the details of far-reaching policy issues, including education, healthcare and social services. Develop critical thinking skills as you consider how policy decisions affect various populations. Other knowledge areas you will examine while earning this degree include:
- Science of organizational behavior
- Best practices in governmental transparency, participation and accountability
- Ethical use of power and effective influencing of stakeholders
- Allocation of goods and services
Career Options With a Master’s Degree in Public Administration With a Government and Policy Emphasis
In this program, you will receive the tools to help serve the public in local, state or federal government positions. Graduates with an MPA degree with government and policy emphasis have the opportunity to learn how to recognize and solve problems that affect the government programs that the public relies on. Some of the careers that may be related to an MPA in Government and Policy emphasis include the following:
- Chief executive
- General and operations manager
- Transportation, storage and distribution manager
- Postmaster or mail superintendent
- Social and community service manager
A master’s degree in public administration with government and policy emphasis may prepare you to pursue a career in a variety of settings, including nonprofit agencies, government agencies and non-governmental consulting and lobbying firms.
MPA Degree With a Government and Public Policy Emphasis Program FAQs
To learn more about this master’s degree program, please read through our answers to these frequently asked questions.
For more information, fill out the form on this page to speak to a university counselor.
* Please note that this list may contain programs and courses not presently offered, as availability may vary depending on class size, enrollment and other contributing factors. If you are interested in a program or course listed herein please first contact your University Counselor for the most current information regarding availability.
* Please refer to the Academic Catalog for more information. Programs or courses subject to change.