What Can You Do with a Health Care Management Degree?
Health care management is a dynamic and evolving field that brings together key responsibilities in patient care, family involvement and staff management. You can enhance your foundational knowledge and sharpen your skills in this area with a Master of Public Administration with an Emphasis in Health Care Management degree. At GCU, this MPA in health care program is offered by the College of Humanities and Social Sciences.
The topics candidates will examine are immediately applicable to the workplace. Candidates will explore a range of business and operational models suited to modern health care organizations. They will learn how to analyze and responsibly address ethical dilemmas that affect patients and staff members.
Earn Your MPA in Health Care Management Online
At GCU, online degree programs are structured to maximize work/life balance, while providing a relevant and in-depth learning experience. You can fit the program around your schedule by focusing on one course at a time. Evening courses are also available for working professionals at GCU campus. The MPA in Health Care Management requires a total of 38 credits for completion. Most online classes are eight weeks long.
Throughout this program, you will refine your outlook on what it takes to become an effective and ethical administrator in public sector health care environments. You will examine contemporary health care models through lenses of economy, quality, access and disparity.
This program emphasizes the identification, analysis and resolution of ethical dilemmas. It also explores the principles of legal compliance, workplace safety and quality patient care. Candidates develop their ability to balance the financial and operational requirements of health care facilities with the responsibility to provide high-quality services to the public.
The Benefits of an MPA in Health Care
Candidates begin the Master of Public Administration in Health Care Management program by strengthening the general skills necessary to succeed as a liberal arts graduate student. They will then work through a progression of courses designed to build foundational knowledge and core competencies. Some of the courses included with this degree program include:
- Public and Nonprofit Administration
- Health Care Policies and Economics
- Strategic Planning and Program Evaluation in Health Care
- Legal and Ethical Principles in Health Care
- Influence, Power and Politics in Public Administration
You will take a close look at the development, implementation and assessment of public health care programs. You’ll also explore the factors that influence market performance and outcome. Gain a deeper understanding of the public sector’s revenue and expenditure structure, including budget structure, expenditure policy and revenue policy. Study modern concepts in talent management, workforce diversity, employee development and performance matrices.
Health Care Management Careers
Public health care organizations value job applicants who have attained advanced degrees. Earning your MPA at GCU can demonstrate your commitment to ethical practices and effective leadership. Some of the careers that may be related to this degree include:
- Director of public health programs
- Public services specialist
- Health care executive
- Regional medical director
- Regulatory affairs manager
Grand Canyon University is regionally accredited by the Higher Learning Commission.
* Please note that this list may contain programs and courses not presently offered, as availability may vary depending on class size, enrollment and other contributing factors. If you are interested in a program or course listed herein please first contact your University Counselor for the most current information regarding availability.
* Please refer to the Academic Catalog for more information. Programs or courses subject to change.