Military FAQs

Grand Canyon University (GCU) is a military-friendly university and a proud participant in many Veterans Affairs (VA) benefits, including the Yellow Ribbon program. Our goal is to help you successfully apply your benefits and transfer your experience and previous college credits to your degree program at GCU. To help you, we have compiled a list of military FAQs so that you can get familiar with the benefits process. If you have additional questions after browsing through the ones below, contact a military university counselor at 855-GCU-LOPE.

Frequently Asked Questions

Do you accept military credits?

Yes! GCU is proud to serve the military community as a military-friendly institution.

GCU follows the American Council on Education guidelines when determining transferability. We provide a free pre-evaluation of the service member's Joint Service Transcript. We also provide a free pre-evaluation of Air University credits for Air Force service members. This is in addition to evaluating any other college credits earned.

Do military spouses get tuition assistance (TA)?

Military spouses are not eligible for TA. Service members may transfer their GI Bill® benefits to spouses under certain conditions. We do offer spouses of active service members the same cost per credit hour as the active service member, regardless of the spouse's method of payment.

When will I get my GI Bill® book stipend?

Book stipends are prorated and included with the Basic Allowance for Housing (BAH) stipend.

Will I receive BAH if I attend school online?

Yes, you may be eligible. Visit for more information and to view the current rate.

Can I use military benefits to attend school online?

Yes! GCU is proud to offer a wide range of degree programs online.

Is an online program considered full-time?

Yes, in regards to your financial aid tuition benefit. In regards to a chapter benefit, this can vary based on program of study. Speak with a military university counselor by calling 855-GCU-LOPE to discuss your specific degree program and benefits.

What is the cost per credit hour at GCU?

Military students (Active Duty, Active Reserve, Active Guard) with TA are eligible for a special military cost per credit hour in our GCU Online and Evening programs. This rate also applies to spouses of active service members. In addition, GCU waives the Learning Management System Fee and Canyon Connect Fee for these students, including spouses. Veteran students are granted a 10 percent scholarship off tuition.

How is certification of my benefits handled?

Certification is submitted on a course-by-course basis once a student posts attendance into each course. You can email for more information on this topic.

Can I double up sooner to take advantage of my benefits?

Yes, you can double up if you meet GCU requirements according to GCU policy handbook.

How much BAH will I be receiving for my program?

This number varies based on the individual. Please refer to for more information.

If I’m deployed while in class, will I be held responsible for the cost if I cannot complete it?

No, GCU has a Military Deployment Policy which will assist our Active Duty service members with tuition costs.

What happens if I’m in class and I get deployed? Do I let my instructor know or is there some kind of accommodation?

Yes, we have a prescribed process to handle deployments. Your student service counselor will assist you if a deployment occurs.

Can I take breaks while in the program?

Yes, you can take a break during your program. Work with your student services counselor for more information.

GI Bill® is a registered trademark of the U.S. Department of Veterans Affairs (VA). More information about education benefits offered by VA is available at the official U.S. government Web site at

Scroll back to top