Grand Canyon University strives to become a second home for our students, especially for our first-year students who are still adjusting to college life. That is why if you want to talk to someone or need help in any way, campus professionals and your peers are always here for you.
Start Strong, Finish Strong
One of our top priorities in creating a comfortable and supportive faith-based environment at GCU is our Start Strong, Finish Strong commitment. We provide an array of resources to help students have the best college experience, which is why we want to make sure you are aware of our Lopes Living Well program. This program, along with other campus services, provides campus resources and professional support to help all of our Lopes be happy and healthy.
When You May Need Extra Support
We understand college can get tough. Academic pressures, life changes, stress and other circumstances can really build up. Homesickness, roommate conflict, relationship problems and certain disorders can also take you off course, possibly leaving you feeling anxious or depressed.
We encourage you to reach out to a professional if you experience any of the following:
- Feelings of being overwhelmed and panic attacks
- Drop in academic performance
- Socially withdrawn and uninterested in activities, events, etc.
- Trouble concentrating or sleeping
- Feelings of hopelessness, sadness, fatigue, guilt, anger or frustration
- Thoughts of death and suicide
- Physical responses to worry or stressful situations such as sweating, dizziness, shortness of breath, irregular heartbeat, muscle pain or tension, headaches or nausea
Why You May Need Help
The transition to college in an environment outside your comfort zone full of brand-new experiences, peers and responsibilities is exciting, yet scary. And without the daily guidance or comfort of parents and family, college can feel even more like a struggle. If left untreated, these health issues can escalate for years up until graduation and beyond.
We want our Lopes to have a happy and healthy GCU experience that prepares them for a happy and healthy future as well. With help and support, students can take the right steps toward a positive college experience and future.
Where to Find Support at GCU
At GCU, you and your unfolding story matter. It is okay to ask for help! These resources are available on campus and are here for you:
- Canyon Counseling Service provides services by therapists and master’s-level interns who are trained to help students with issues such as depression, disordered eating patterns, relationship issues, anxiety and other mental or emotional stressors. These professionals are here to listen to you and respond with appropriate therapy, counseling and a treatment plan.
- Lopes Support Network provides an outlet for students to speak with their peers about mental health struggles. This network creates a community of acceptance where students can open up the conversation about mental health, listen to others and share stories in a small-group, supportive setting. The Lopes Support Network advocates that mental health should not be a stigma and students do not have to be alone in their struggles.
- Canyon Health and Wellness Clinic provides quality medical, health and preventative care services to help ensure optimal student health and wellness while living on campus. Services include immunizations, physicals, laboratory testing, blood pressure checks and more.
- Lopes Living Well at gcu.edu/lopeslivingwell provides student resources for mental, emotional, spiritual or physical healthcare. Lopes Living Well also offers important tips for maintaining a happy, healthy lifestyle, including following a daily routine, eating and sleeping well, exercise, supportive relationships, time management and more. Here you can learn more about how to handle homesickness, roommate conflict, substance abuse and dependence, stress, eating disorders, anxiety and depression.
College can be the best years of your life – and GCU is committed to helping you live happily and healthily during this special time of learning and growing. We are here to help make GCU become your home away from home. For more information about student resources, visit our website or contact us today using the Request More Information button at the top of the page.
Learn the best tips to enhance your student experience and get answers to relevant questions. Come back for weekly updates on how to master living life on campus, change your major, or how to brew coffee for those early morning classes. Through our articles, we hope you can partake in a successful and enjoyable college experience. Lopes up!