What Is Industrial and Organizational Psychology?
Grand Canyon University’s qualitative Doctor of Philosophy (PhD) in General Psychology with an Emphasis in Industrial and Organizational Psychology allows you to study human behavior across a number of settings. This program focuses most on people in the workplace. You will have the opportunity to learn how relationships are formed and what makes people engaged and motivated. Studying these topics can allow you to consult and coach business professionals who wish to make improvements in relationship-building, culture and organizational performance.
The PhD in industrial and organizational psychology program was designed by the College of Doctoral Study to emphasize the following aspects of the field:
- The role of industrial organizational psychologists in an organization
- Theories and styles of leadership for appropriateness to organizational contexts
- Principles of interpersonal and group consulting and coaching to improve organizational performance
- Theories and methods for selecting, training, appraising, organizing and supervising employees and managers
- Methods for the selection, administration and interpretation of workplace tests and assessments
What Is a Qualitative PhD Organizational Psychology Degree?
Throughout this PhD in General Psychology with an Emphasis in Industrial and Organizational Psychology program, you will employ qualitative research methodology to conduct your dissertation. This research methodology focuses on how and why people think, believe and behave a certain way, while quantitative research methodology focuses on analyzing events by interpreting numeric data. By pursuing your qualitative PhD, you will create a sampling plan, design and field test research tools, collect data and conduct an analysis using a systematic approach.
Earn Your PhD in Industrial Organizational Psychology Online or On Campus
The PhD in General Psychology with an Emphasis in Industrial and Organizational Psychology program includes coursework in the history and theory of general psychology. You will have the opportunity to discuss key theories and synthesize how they apply to behavior in the workplace. Common psychological theories are examined as they formulate new ideas and practices.
Scholarly research is as the heart of the GCU PhD industrial organizational psychology online and on-campus programs. As a student, you will evaluate existing research and consider the application and design used to formulate those principles. You will also conduct independent research with the goal to better understand approaches to thought processes in the workplace, such as memory, reasoning, intelligence, motivation and learning.
This work can lead you to research and complete your own dissertation. Throughout the program, you will have numerous avenues of support with your dissertation, including two hands-on doctoral residencies. Graduates who intend to pursue licensure will need to complete additional requirements, as this degree on its own does not lead directly to licensure.
Study Organizational Behaviors and Management Strategies
Learners who plan to work with all levels of employees can be supported by the coursework in the PhD in General Psychology with an Emphasis in Industrial and Organizational Psychology program. In order to support businesses that wish to help their workers excel, an expert in industrial organization must understand and be able to evaluate leadership, supervision and culture-building. At GCU, the study of these topics can help build that background.
- Psychology of leadership
- Social and organizational principles to business and industry
- Probability, descriptive and inferential analyses of data and statistical testing
- Principles related to personnel and human resources management
GCU alumni enrolling in a doctoral program for the first time may be eligible for a $2,000 scholarship.§
Industrial and Organizational Psychology Careers
As a graduate of the PhD in Industrial and Organizational Psychology online or campus program, you may position yourself to become a behavioral expert in the workplace and bring the methods of psychology to business. You may also find work as a:
- Teacher at the university level
If you are eager to learn more about how psychology functions within work environments, a degree in industrial organizational psychology may be for you.
§ MOU-Alumni 2000 Doctoral-Dec2023: The Alumni Scholarship for Doctoral Programs is only valid for those applicants who submit a complete application and begin a Doctoral program in December 2023. This scholarship cannot be used in conjunction with any other GCU scholarship or awards and only applies to online and evening programs. Please speak to a university counselor for complete details.
* Please note that this list may contain programs and courses not presently offered, as availability may vary depending on class size, enrollment and other contributing factors. If you are interested in a program or course listed herein please first contact your University Counselor for the most current information regarding availability.
* Please refer to the Academic Catalog for more information. Programs or courses subject to change.