Campus Scholarships

At Grand Canyon University (GCU), we offer generous scholarship opportunities to help make funding a private Christian education affordable. Register today to lock in your scholarship offer and see how affordable earning your degree at GCU can be. 

Campus scholarships are available for traditional students who take courses on our main campus. To learn more about your eligibility for these scholarships, speak with your university admissions counselor. 

GCU also posts outside scholarship opportunities1 to help you supplement your education. These scholarships may be combined with GCU scholarships to cover tuition and other expenses. Browse scholarships here.

Direct Start Scholarships

Direct Start Scholarships may be available to you if you graduated high school between December of the previous calendar year and June of the calendar year in which you wish to enroll. For example, if you want to enroll at GCU for the 2018 spring semester or the 2018-19 academic year, Direct Start Scholarships may be available if you graduate between December 2017 and June 2018. 

International students attending GCU with an F-1 Visa are eligible for Indirect Start Scholarships only. Please note that all scholarships are applied to tuition first.

In order to qualify for a Direct Start Scholarship, you must:

  • Have completed and submitted an application 
  • Submit transcripts showing six semesters or more with cumulative, weighted or unweighted GPA, or submit SAT (math and reading scores only) and/or ACT scores
  • Submit final transcripts by day 21 of the semester, which includes a graduation date for final awards

Indirect Start and International Scholarships

Indirect Start Scholarships may be available to you if you do not enroll at GCU the semester following your high school graduation or if you are an international student who is fully admissible and attending GCU with an F-1 Visa.

To apply for an Indirect Start Scholarship, you must:

  • Submit unofficial transcripts for all institutions attended since high school. If you did not attend another college or university, you must provide your high school transcript. SAT and/or ACT test scores cannot be used if any college coursework has been attempted. Students who have less than 24 attempted college credits must use their high school GPA to qualify for academic scholarships. Students who have 24 or more attempted college credits must use their cumulative college GPA to qualify for academic scholarships.
  • Upon completion of final terms at all institutions, provide the official transcripts to GCU. For scholarship adjustment considerations, submit unofficial transcripts, due no later than two weeks prior to the start of the term. All official transcripts are due by day 21 of the semester to lock in your scholarship award.
  • Once enrolled, you must maintain continuous full-time enrollment at GCU and adhere to the scholarship program requirements for renewal.

Additional Scholarships and Grants

In addition to our academic scholarships, GCU is proud to offer the following scholarships and grants:

  • Priority Registration Award* - This program awards scholarships from $250 to $1,000 per academic year based on the number of awards available at the time of registration and whether students live on or off campus. This award is renewable annually for the fall and spring semesters, as long as the student maintains the minimum GCU GPA required for attendance. Requirements for registration and attendance may vary by program. All requirements for registration and attendance must be met to receive this award.
  • CSET Award** (programmatic awards for computer science, information technology, computer programming and engineering majors) - This program awards $1,000 (non-CCSC Award recipients) or $2,000 (CCSC Award recipients) per academic year to students who are admissible to GCU and enroll in one of our computer science, information technology, computer programming or engineering programs. This award is renewable for fall and spring semesters, as long as the student maintains the minimum GCU GPA required for attendance and stays enrolled in a computer science, information technology, computer programming or engineering program at GCU (limit eight semesters). There are a limited number of awards available. These awards are available on a first-come, first-served basis.
  • Phi Theta Kappa Award - This award offers $1,000 per academic year if you are admissible to GCU, are a current member of Phi Theta Kappa and have a 3.5 or greater cumulative college GPA. These awards are available on a first-come, first-served basis and cannot be combined with the CSET Award.
  • Grand Canyon State University Grant*** (in-state and out-of-state) – This award offers $1,000 per academic year to Arizona students and $250 to out-of-state students who graduate from one of GCU's participant high schools. Students attending one of the Maricopa County Community College campuses must have earned an associate degree or equivalent, to qualify for the award. This award is renewable annually for fall and spring semesters, as long as the student maintains the minimum GCU GPA required for attendance. This award cannot be combined with the CCSC Award.
  • Canyon Christian Schools Consortium (CCSC) Award++ – Qualified students must have graduated from a CCSC participant school. The scholarship awards $5,000 per academic year to on-campus students who are admissible and $2,500 per academic year to off-campus students. This award is renewable for fall and spring semesters based on the number of years a CCSC member high school was attended. In order to renew, the student must maintain the minimum GPA required for attendance, join a campus worship service weekly and meet the 20-hour service requirement each semester, as determined by the university. Recipients of the CCSC Award are ineligible for the Grand Canyon University Award.
  • Honors College Academic Excellence ScholarshipNOT ACCEPTING APPLICATIONS AT THIS TIME. This scholarship may be awarded in varying amounts ranging from $1,000 to $16,500 per academic year. Multiple awards are available. This scholarship is stackable on top of other GCU-funded institutional aid. For more information about scholarship requirements, speak with your admissions counselor or visit the Honors College. We are no longer accepting applications for this scholarship, but if you would like more information about the college, please fill out the form below.

    Request Information

  • There are many more scholarship opportunities available through the Grand Canyon University Scholarship Foundation. As an independent organization, the Grand Canyon University Scholarship Foundation works closely with its board to match academic needs with private support. For more information, visit

Learn more about your eligibility for GCU 2017-18 and 2018-19 scholarships.

Learn more about audition-based performance scholarship opportunities available for incoming College of Fine Arts and Production applicants.

    State Grants

    State grants are excellent resources to help you fund your education. They are awarded annually to qualified students based on the state where they reside. Arizona state grant information is below. For information regarding state grant options outside of Arizona, contact your state’s department of education.

    AZ Leveraging Educational Assistance Partnership (LEAP)

    The Leveraging Educational Assistance Partnership (LEAP) program establishes a federal-state partnership to provide financial assistance in the form of grants to students who have demonstrated financial need. Federal funds are provided to match appropriated state funds on a dollar-for-dollar basis. Each participating institution, public or private, provides institutional matching funds, which are equal to the amount of funds provided by the state for the LEAP program. Funds are dependent upon federal approval and may not be available for certain award years.

    Arizona Teacher Student Loan Program

    The Arizona Teacher Student Loan Program is a need-based forgivable loan designed to financially support and encourage college students who are Arizona residents to enter into the teaching profession and teach in Arizona. Students must enter into an agreement with the Arizona Commission for Postsecondary Education (ACPE) to teach in an Arizona public school for a term equal to the number of years the loan is received plus one year. Additionally, students must sign a promissory note acknowledging the conditions of the forgivable loan and promising to repay the loan plus interest if the teaching obligation is not met. The financial aid office at GCU must certify that the student meets the minimum qualifications for the program. Loans are awarded to eligible students on a first-come, first-served basis.

    TEACH Grant

    The U.S. Department of Education's Teacher Education Assistance for College and Higher Education (TEACH) Grant program provides grant funds to postsecondary students who are completing coursework that is needed for a career in teaching and who agree to serve for at least four years. 

    You must serve as a full-time, highly qualified teacher in a high-need field and in a school serving low-income students after leaving school. 

    If you receive a TEACH Grant, but do not complete the required four years of teaching service within eight years after completing the coursework for which you received the grant, or if you otherwise do not meet the requirements of the TEACH Grant program, all TEACH Grant funds that you received will be converted to a Federal Direct Unsubsidized Loan that you must repay in full with interest to the Department of Education. Once a TEACH Grant is converted to a loan, it cannot be converted back to a grant.


    If you plan to teach, you may wish to consider the TEACH Grant. Be aware that if you receive the TEACH Grant, but do not fulfill the stringent requirements of the program, the amount awarded in grant money becomes a loan with interest, compounded from the time of the award.

    To be eligible at GCU, you must: 

    • Be a U.S. citizen or eligible non-citizen 
    • Complete a FAFSA, although you do not have to demonstrate financial need to be eligible 
    • Have a cumulative GPA of at least 3.25 throughout your academic program or demonstrate a score above the 75th percentile on a national standardized college admissions test (ACT, SAT, GRE or GMAT) or be employed as a full-time teacher as a graduate student 
    • Be accepted into an eligible degree program

    You also must: 

    • Major in education and pursue a certification in a high need subject area, or major in a high need subject area without obtaining certification if you are already certified. You are only eligible if you are pursuing your first undergraduate degree. You are NOT eligible for the TEACH Grant if you are pursuing a second undergraduate degree. 
    • Sign an Agreement to Serve and complete entrance counseling each year that you receive a grant
    • Complete these forms at the Department of Education’s website:


    You are required to complete entrance counseling through the Department of Education site each year that you accept a TEACH Grant. You will also be required to attend exit counseling when you graduate or leave school.


    Within 120 days of completing your program or ceasing enrollment in your program, you must notify the U.S. Department of Education that you are fulfilling (or plan to fulfill) the terms and conditions of your service agreement. You must document your teaching service annually; the chief administrative officer at the school where you teach must certify your documentation.

    Amount of Grant

    The TEACH Grant program provides grants of up to $4,000 per academic year to qualified students. Due to sequestration legislation these awards are reduced by pre-determined percentage each October 1. In addition, the awards are reduced proportionally based on a student’s enrollment status of three-quarter time, half-time and less-than-half time.

    Agreement to Serve

    Each year you receive a TEACH Grant, you must sign a TEACH Grant Agreement to Serve and Promise to Pay that is available electronically on the Department of Education website.  The Agreement to Serve states the conditions under which the grant will be awarded and the teaching service requirements, and includes an acknowledgment by you that you understand that if you do not meet the teaching service requirements, you must repay the grant as a Federal Direct Unsubsidized Loan with interest accrued from the date the grant funds were disbursed. 

    The Agreement to Serve also requires the following: 

    • For each TEACH Grant-eligible program for which you received TEACH Grant funds, you must serve as a full-time teacher for a total of at least four academic years within eight calendar years after you completed or withdrew from the academic program for which you received the TEACH Grant. 
    • You must perform the teaching service as a highly qualified teacher at a low-income school. The term highly qualified teacher is defined in section 9101(23) of the Elementary and Secondary Education Act of 1965 or in section 602(10) of the Individuals with Disabilities Education Act. 
    • Your teaching service must be in a high-need field. 
    • You must comply with any other requirements that the Department of Education determines to be necessary. If you do not complete the required teaching service obligation, TEACH Grant funds you received will be converted to a Federal Direct Unsubsidized Loan that you must repay with interest charged from the date of each TEACH Grant disbursement. 

    You agree to teach in any of the following high needs subject areas at low-income schools: 

    • Bilingual education and English language acquisition 
    • Foreign language 
    • Mathematics 
    • Reading specialist 
    • Science 
    • Special education 
    • Other identified teacher shortage areas (listed by state, as of the year you will begin teaching). Find out more at:

    Fulfilling the service agreement requires the majority of your classes be taught in one of the high-need subject areas. Elementary teachers teaching multiple subjects will find it difficult, if not impossible, to satisfy their service obligation.

    Apply for a TEACH Grant

    For more information about applying for a TEACH Grant, speak with your university counselor or student services counselor by calling us at 855-GCU-LOPE. 

    Federal Pell Grant

    Federal Pell Grants are awarded to eligible undergraduate students pursuing their first bachelor's degree who demonstrate significant financial need. These funds do not have to be repaid. You are no longer eligible for the Pell Grant if you have already earned your first bachelor’s degree.

    To determine eligibility, the U.S. Department of Education uses a standard formula established by Congress to evaluate the information reported on the FAFSA. The formula produces an EFC figure. This figure, along with your enrollment status, is used by the Office of Financial Aid to determine the amount of funds to be awarded. 
    Based on a legislation passed by Congress, effective in 2012, you are now limited to a maximum lifetime Pell Grant limit of the equivalent of 12 full-time semesters of eligibility.

    As the federal award changes each year, please check with your student service counselor for current award maximums.

    Federal SEOG (Supplemental Educational Opportunity Grant)

    The Federal SEOG (Supplemental Educational Opportunity Grant) is awarded to you if you have financial need and meet the same federal general eligibility requirements as that of a Pell recipient. Students with the lowest EFCs who also receive Pell Grants for the award year have primary consideration for this grant. As funds are limited, the selection process is completed on a first-come, first-serve basis. As this is a grant, funds do not need to be repaid. The normal award is $1,000 per award year.

    1 As the GCU Office of Financial Aid becomes aware of outside scholarship opportunities, we will post them here. Although we screen these listings to eliminate any offers that do not appear to be legitimate, inclusion in this list does not indicate an endorsement or recommendation of any kind. You should review all scholarship information carefully, especially before submitting an application fee of any kind.

    2 Information obtained from More information about scholarships can be found at: