A new year is here and 2018 is among us! The GCU Blogs Network would like to wish you a Happy New Year and prayers for the upcoming school semester. Every year is a fresh start and full of new beginnings – and this year is no different. New buildings are being built, new students joining the Lope family and exciting opportunities are arising this year. We can hardly wait!
New Year’s Resolutions
New Year, New Lope, right? Here are some great New Year’s resolutions for every student. Which ones are you going to make your priority to achieve?
- Go to bed and wake up early: Instead of staying up late and then sleeping in until noon, try going to bed early and waking up early. Your body will surely thank you and your grades will reflect that extra sleep. Shoot for at least seven hours.
- Utilize the fitness centers: Many of us use the fitness center for the first few days after a break and then start to visit less and less as the year goes on until we don’t at all. Try to keep the routine this year and go a few times a week. Any exercise is good and can help with your mental health, fitness and overall mood.
- Save Dining Dollars: To some, budgeting is easy and simple; to others, not so much. There’s always those few people halfway through the year who have spent all their Dining Dollars. This year, try to make your dollars stretch to the end of the semester by using the GCU app.
- Go to class: I know, I know, sleep is great and so is eating, but you have to go to class. That is what you are here for. Make it a goal this year to miss as few classes as possible. Those participation points add up quickly and you don’t want your grade to suffer just because you chose to sleep in an extra hour.
- Take notes: Exit out of Facebook, pull up a document and take some notes. Your GPA will thank you.
- Study: Again, your GPA will thank you. Whether its 30 minutes or a couple hours, anything helps. It will surely benefit you in the long run.
- Take time for you: College life can be hectic and crazy. Make sure you take time for yourself and do things that benefit you. Journal in your room, take a nap or watch some Netflix – anything that helps you rejuvenate.
- Go to a GCU basketball game: A Grand Canyon University basketball game is an experience in itself. You can’t say you went to GCU when you never went to a game! Gather some friends and cheer with the famous Havocs!
- Get more involved: Check out the options below and get involved on campus. You won’t regret it.
How to Get Involved on Campus
Getting involved on campus is a great way to meet new people and fully immerse yourself in the college experience. Lucky for you, Grand Canyon University is a great place to make connections. Check out some of these ways to get involved:
- Join a club: GCU has a variety of different clubs. From academic clubs that correlate with your major to outreach clubs that help the community, there is a club for everyone – you just have to find it!
- Play a sport: Sports are a great way to meet new people, and stay active and healthy! GCU has a multitude of intramural sports, from bowling to flag football. Build community and meet other Lopes with the same interests as you!
- Adventure: The GCU Outdoor Recreation Program gets you out of your comfort zone and takes you on an adventure. The program allows you to participate in fun things such as kayaking, backpacking, hiking and paddle boarding. Do it for the gram and take an adventure.
- Join a Life Group: Do you like Bible studies and community? Go to your Life Group in your hall! It’s once a week, with the days and times depending on your Life Leader, and it’s an awesome way to meet new people and learn about the Word!
Not a GCU student yet? Make it a New Year’s resolution to tour our beautiful campus in the heart of sunny Phoenix! Learn more by visiting our website or contacting us using the Request More Information button.